Date: 17.9.2017 / Article Rating: 5 / Votes: 772
Dsi.essaytyper.cloudns.cx #Essay outlines lord flies

Recent Posts

Home >> Uncategorized >> Essay outlines lord flies

Essay outlines lord flies

Oct/Sat/2017 | Uncategorized

Lord of the Flies Critical Essays - eNotes com | Sample …

Essay outlines lord flies

Custom Academic Paper Writing Services -
The lord of the flies themes essay | Best Natural Skin…

blue hair the essay OPPRESSED HAIR PUTS A CEILING ON THE BRAIN. Outlines? This is from Living By The Word: Selected Writings 1973-1987 by Alice Walker. As some of you no doubt know, I myself was a student here once, many moons ago. I used to essay test strategies sit in these very seats (sometimes still in pajamas, underneath my coat) and essay outlines gaze up at community college writing, the light streaming through these very windows. I listened to lord dozens of encouraging speakers and sang, and vacation listened to, wonderful music. I believe I sensed I would one day return, to be on outlines, this side of the podium. I think that, all those years ago, when I was a student here and still in my teens, I was thinking about what I would say to you now. It may surprise you that I do not intend (until the question-and-answer period perhaps) to speak of war and peace, the economy, racism or sexism, or the triumphs and tribulations of words middle school essays, black people or of women. Essay? Or even about movies. Though the discerning ear may hear my concern for some of transition, these things in what I am about to essay flies say, I am going to talk about an issue even closer to home. I am going to transition words school talk to you about hair.

Don't give a thought to the state of essay outlines lord, yours at the moment. Don't be at all alarmed. This is not an appraisal. I simply want to share with you some of essay on my vacation, my own experiences with our friend hair, and at the most hope to outlines lord entertain and amuse you. Frederick Douglass Learning Read Essay? For a long time, from babyhood through young adulthood mainly, we grow, physically and spiritually (including the intellectual with the lord spiritual), without being deeply aware of writing, it. In fact, some periods of our growth are so confusing that we don't even recognize that growth is what is happening. We may feel hostile or angry or weepy and outlines hysterical, or we may feel depressed. It would never occur to us, unless we stumbled on a book or person who explained it to us, that we were in fact in the process of change, of actually becoming larger, spiritually, than we were before. Whenever we grow, we tend to feel it, as a young seed must feel the weight and inertia of the earth as it seeks to words middle school essays break out of its shell on its way to becoming a plant. Outlines? Often the feeling is anything but pleasant. But what is most unpleasant is the not knowing what is happening.

I remember the community college waves of outlines flies, anxiety that used to engulf me at different periods in my life, always manifesting itself in physical disorders (sleeplessness, for instance) and flies how frightened I was because I did not understand how this was possible. Flies? With age and experience, you will be happy to know, growth becomes a conscious, recognized process. Still somewhat frightening, but at least understood for what it is. Those long periods when something inside ourselves seems to be waiting, holding its breath, unsure about what the next step should be, eventually become the periods we wait for, for it is in those periods that we realize we are being prepared for the next phase of our life and community creative that, in outlines lord all probability, a new level of the personality is about to be revealed. A few years ago I experienced one such long period of learning read and write, restlessness disguised as stillness. That is to say, I pretty much withdrew from the larger world in favor of the peace of my personal, smaller one. I unplugged myself from television and essay flies newspapers (a great relief!), from the more disturbing members of my extended family, and from most of my friends. I seemed to have reached a ceiling in my brain. And under this ceiling my mind was very restless, although all else about me was calm.

As one does in these periods of introspection, I counted the beads of my progress in this world. In my relationship to my family and the ancestors, I felt I had behaved respectfully (not all of them would agree, no doubt); in my work I felt I had done, to the best of my ability, all that was required of me; in essay on my my relationship to the persons with whom I daily shared my life I had acted with all the love I could possibly locate within myself. I was also at least beginning to acknowledge my huge responsibility to the Earth and my adoration of the Universe. Lord Flies? What else, then, was required? Why was it that, when I mediated and sought the escape hatch at the top of my brain, which, at an earlier stage of growth, I had been fortunate enough to essay find, I now encountered a ceiling, as it the route to merge with the infinite I had become used to was plastered over? One day, after I had asked this question earnestly for lord flies, half a year, it occurred to me that in my physical self there remained one last barrier to lord flies my spiritual liberation, at least in the present phase: my hair. Outlines Lord Flies? Not my friend hair itself, for I quickly understood that it was innocent. It was the way I related to it that was the problem. I was always thinking about it.

So much so that if my spirit had been a balloon eager to vancouver community writing soar away and merge with the infinite, my hair would be the rock that anchored it to Earth. I realized that there was no hope of essay outlines flies, continuing my spiritual development, no hope of future growth of vancouver, my soul, no hope of really being able to stare at essay, the Universe and forget myself entirely in the staring (one of the purest joys!) if I still remained chained to thoughts about my hair. I suddenly understood why nuns and monks shaved their heads! I looked at myself in the mirror and I laughed with happiness! I had broken through the seed skin, and was on essay test strategies, my way upward through the essay earth. Now I began to experiment: For several months I wore long braids (a fashion among black women at the time) made from the hair of on my, Korean women. I loved this.

It fulfilled my fantasy of having very long hair and it gave my short, mildly processed (oppressed) hair a chance to grow out. The young woman who braided my hair was someone I grew to outlines lord love--a struggling young mother, she and her daughter would arrive at my house at strategies, seven in the evening and we would talk, listen to lord music, and eat pizza or burritos while she worked, until one or two o'clock in frederick how to read and write the morning. I loved the craft involved in the designs she created for my head. (Basket making! a friend once cried on feeling the intricate weaving atop my head.) I loved sitting between her knees the outlines lord way I used to xat essay writing sit between my mother's and sister's knees while they braided my hair when I was a child. I loved the fact that my own hair grew out and essay outlines lord flies grew healthy under the extensions, as the vacation lengths of hair were called. Lord Flies? I loved paying a young sister for work that was truly original and very much a part of the black hair-styling tradition. I loved the fact that I did not have to deal with my hair except once every two or three months (for the first time in my life I could wash it every day if I wanted to and not have to community college creative do anything further). Still, eventually the braids would have to be taken down (a four- to-seven-hour job) and redone (another seven to eight hours), nor did I ever quite forget the Korean women, who, according to outlines lord flies my young hairdresser, grew their hair expressly to be sold. Naturally this information caused me to wonder (and, yes, worry) about middle school essays, all other areas of their lives.

When my hair was four inches long, I dispensed with the hair of lord, my Korean sisters and braided my own. It was only then that I became reacquainted with its natural character. I found it to be springy, soft, almost sensually responsive to moisture. As the little braids spun off in all directions but the ones I tried to encourage them to go, I discovered my hair's willfulness, so like my own! I saw that my friend hair, given its own life, had a sense of humor. I discovered I liked it. Again I stood in front of the mirror and looked at myself and laughed.

My hair was one of those odd, amazing, unbelievable, stop-you-in-your-tracks creations--not unlike a zebra's stripes, an armadillo's ears, or the feet of the electric-blue-footed boobie--that the Universe makes for no reason other than to essay test strategies express its own limitless imagination. I realized I had never been given the opportunity to appreciate hair for its true self. That it did, in fact, have one. I remembered years of enduring hairdressers -- from my mother onward--doing missionary work on lord, my hair. Test Strategies? They dominated, suppressed, controlled. Now, more or less free, it stood this way and that. I would call up my friends around the country to report on its antics.

It never thought of lying down. Flatness, the missionary position, did not interest it. Being short, cropped off near the root, another missionary solution, did not interest it either. It sought more and essay flies more space, more light, more of itself. It loved to be washed; but that was it. Eventually I knew precisely what hair wanted: it wanted to grow, to be itself, to attract lint, if that was its destiny, but to be left alone by anyone, including me, who did not love it as it was. What do you think happened? (Other than that I was now able, as an added bonus, to comprehend Bob Marley as the mystic his music always indicated he was.) The ceiling at the top of my brain lifted; once again my mind (and spirit) could get outside myself. I would not be stuck in restless stillness, but would continue to grow. The plant was above the ground!

This was the gift of my growth during my fortieth year. Frederick Learning? This and the realization that as long as there is joy in creation there will always be new creations to outlines flies discover, or to rediscover, and that a prime place to look is within and about the self. That even death, being part of life, must offer at essay test strategies, least one moment of delight. Essay Outlines Lord Flies? (This was a talk given on Founders' Day, April 11, 1987, at Spelman College in Atlanta.) Alice Walker is the author of The Color Purple by Neely Fuller Jr. by Alice Walker. by F. Leon Wilson. by Jenga Mwendo. by Marcus Garvey. by Edward Williams. Earl Ofari Hutchinson. Champion of Darkness.

Don't remove the kinks. Xat Essay Writing Preparation? Marcus Mosiah Garvey. Essay Lord Flies? Copyright © 1998-2031 Prema - All Rights Reserved.

Best Custom Academic Essay Writing Help & Writing Services UK Online -
FREE Lord of the Flies Essay Essay

Chapter 08 - Dating and Mate Selection. Sixty years ago if you were of marrying age, you’d most likely select someone based on how your parents felt about outlines, it; how healthy the essay on my, person appeared to be; how good/moral their character appeared to essay, be; and how stable their economic resources appeared to be. Today we search for soul mates. Look around you in the classroom. How many potential mates are sitting there?

In other words, how many single females or males are there in douglass, the same classroom? Now of essay lord, those, how many would you be attracted to preparation, as a date and essay, how many can you tell just by watching them that you’d probably never date? These are the types of words middle school essays, questions and answers we consider when we study dating and mate selection. In the United States there are millions of essay outlines lord, people between the ages of 18-24 (18-24 is considered prime dating and mate selection ages). The US Census bureau estimates that 8.5 percent of the US population or about 26 million people are single and between the ages of 18-24 years that’s nearly 15 million males and 15 million females (retrieved 12 June 2014 SOURCE Tables 1 and 2; and calculation based on frederick how to Table 57 Statistical Abstracts of the US SOURCE ). Those numbers should be very similar in 2010 when the Census is collected. Lord! Does that mean that you could have 15 million potential mates out there somewhere? Yes, potential yet no in frederick and write, realistic terms.

You see, it would take more time than any mortal has in their life to ever interact with that many people. Besides dating and mate selection is not about volume it’s about quality and intimacy in the relationship. To help you better understand this let’s learn a few key principles that apply to the realistic processes we use to date and mate select. When we see people we filter them as either being in or out of our pool of eligibles. Filtering is the process of identifying those we interact with as either being in or out of our pool of people we might consider to be a date or mate. There are many filters we use. One is physical appearance. We might include some because of tattoos and piercing or exclude some for the exact same physical traits. We might include some because they know someone we know or exclude the same people because they are total strangers. Figure 1 shows the basic date and mate selection principles that play into our filtering processes (This inverted pyramid metaphorically represents a filter that a liquid might be poured through to essay outlines flies, refine it; IE: coffee filter).

That couple in the bottom right-hand corner is my wife and I on a field trip to the Association for Applied and Clinical Sociology in Ypsilanti, Michigan. Xat Essay Writing Preparation! She and I travel without our children at least twice per year and we have been attending professional conferences together for more than a decade. We met in college in outlines lord flies, 1985. I was the maintenance man for easter vacation all of the Women’s dorms and she lived in the dorms (I met many female friends through my work). We dated, became engaged and essay outlines lord, married in the same year. We worked together for 7 years to put me through my Associates, Bachelors’, Masters, Doctorate, then Post-doctoral fellowship. My wife now has her Bachelors’ degree and middle school, is shopping for her Masters. Higher education is a theme that emerged within our life experiences and has spilled over into our children’s’ lives now with 3 in college at this time. All of the principles discussed in this chapter applied to lord, how my wife and I met, became friends, and chose to marry. They will likely apply to you and yours. Figure1: Types of Filters Used to Eliminate or Include Potential Dates and essay flies, Mates.

Propenquity is the outlines, geographic closeness experienced by potential dates and mates. It’s the proximity you might experience by: living in outlines flies, the same dorms or apartment buildings; going to the same university or college; working in the same place of essay lord flies, employment; or belonging to the same religious group. Proximity means that you both breathe the same air in the same place at community about the same time. Proximity is crucial because the more you see one another or interact directly or indirectly with one another, the more likely you see each other as mates. I often ask my students how they met and when they tell their stories I help them to identify the geography that was involved in the process. Physical appearance is subjective and is defined differently for each individual.

Truly, what one person finds as attractive is not what others find to be attractive. Essay Outlines Flies! There are a few biological, psychological, and transition middle school essays, social-emotional aspects of appearance that tend to essay outlines lord flies, make an essay strategies individual more attractive to essay, more people. Xat Essay! These include slightly above average desirable traits and symmetry in facial features. According to the Centers for Disease Control the outlines lord, average man in the United States is words middle essays 5 foot 10 inches tall and weighs about 177 pounds. The average woman is about 5 foot 4 inches tall and weighs about essay outlines lord flies, 144 pounds.

Did you just compare yourself? Most of us tend to compare ourselves to frederick learning how to essay, averages or to others we know. That’s how we come to define our personal level of attractiveness. This is important to understand that we subjectively judge ourselves as being more or less attractive; because we often limit our dating pool of essay lord, eligibles to those we think are in our same category of writing preparation, beauty. If you are 6 foot tall as a man or 5 foot 8 as a woman, then you are slightly above average in outlines lord flies, height.

For men, if they have manly facial features (strong chin and vancouver college creative, jaw and somewhat prominent brow); slight upper body musculature, and a slim waist then they’d have more universally desirable traits. Essay! For women: larger eyes, softer facial features and chin; fuller lips, and an hour-glass figure facilitate more universally desirable traits. So, here is the million dollar question: what if I don’t have these universally desirable traits? Am I excluded from the date and mate selection market? No. There is a principle that I have found to be the college writing, most powerful predictor of how we make our dating and mating selection choices--homogamy. Outlines Flies! Homogamy is the tendency for dates, mates, and spouses to pair off with someone of similar attraction, background, interests, and needs. This is on my easter typically true for most couples. They find and pair off with persons of similarity more than difference. Outlines Lord Flies! Have you ever heard the colloquial phrase, opposites attract? To some degree they do, but typically they don’t form committed long-term relationships together.

One of my students challenged this notion in the case of community college writing, her own relationship. She said, My husband and I are so different. He like Mexican food, I like Italian. He likes rap and outlines lord, I like classical music. He likes water skiing and I like camping and hiking… I interrupted her and said, So you both like ethnic food, music, and outdoors. Do you vote on similar issues? Do you have similar family backgrounds?

Do you both come from a similar economic class? She answered yes to all three questions. Now, don’t misunderstand me. Couples are not identical, just similar. Essay Test Strategies! And we tend to find patterns that indicate that homogamy in a relationship can be indirectly supportive of a long-term relationship quality because it facilitates less disagreements and disconnections of routines in essay outlines lord flies, the daily life of a couple. Writing! I believe that we filter homogamously and essay outlines lord, even to essay, the point that we do tend to marry someone like our parents. Here’s why, people from similar: economic class, ethnicity, religion, political persuasion, and lord, lifestyles tend to hang out with others like themselves. Our mates resemble our parents more because we resemble our parents and we tend to look for others like ourselves. Heterogamy is the dating or pairing of vancouver community writing, individuals with differences in traits. All of us pair off with heterogamous and homogamous individuals with emphasis more on the latter than the former.

Over time, after commitments are made, couples often develop more homogamy. Some develop similar mannerisms; finish each other’s sentences; dress alike; develop mutually common hobbies and interests; and parent together. One of the most influential psychologists in outlines lord, the 1950-1960s was Abraham Maslow and his famous Pyramid of the Hierarchy of Needs (Google: A Theory of Human Motivation, 1943, Psychological Review 50(4) (1943):370-96). Maslow’s pyramid has been taught in high schools and colleges for decades. Most of my students tell me they’ve seen the pyramid or studied Maslow in more than once in previous class. Maslow sheds light on how and why we pick the person we pick when choosing a date or mate by focusing on how they meet our needs as a date, mate, or spouse. Persons from dysfunctional homes where children were not nurtured nor supported through childhood would likely be attracted to someone who provides that unfulfilled nurturing need they still have.

Persons from homes where they were nurtured, supported, and sustained in their individual growth and development would likely be attracted to someone who promises growth and support in intellectual, aesthetic, or self-actualization (becoming fully who our individual potential allows us to become) areas of test, life. It may sound selfish at first glance but we really do date and essay, mate on essay the basis of what we get out of it (or how our needs are met). The Social Exchange Theory and its rational choice formula clarify the selection process even further. Maximize Rewards-Minimize Costs=Date or Mate Choice. When we interact with potential dates and mates we run a mental balance sheet in our heads. She might think, he’s tall, confident, funny, and friends with my friends.

As she talks a bit more she might say, But, he chews smokeless tobacco, only wants to essay lord, party, and just flirted with another young women while we were still talking. The entire time we interact with potential dates and mates we evaluate them on xat essay writing preparation their appearance, disposition, goals and aspirations, and other traits. This while simultaneously remembering how we rate and evaluate ourselves. Essay Outlines Flies! Rarely do we seek out the best looking person at the party unless we define ourselves as an frederick how to and write even match for him or her. More often we rank and rate ourselves compared to others and as we size up and evaluate potentials we define the overall exchange rationally or in an economic context where we try to maximize our rewards while minimizing our losses.

The overall evaluation of the deal also depends to a great extent on essay outlines lord how well we feel matched on racial and ethnic traits, religious background, social economic class, and age similarities. Truly the complexity of the date and mate selection process includes many obvious and some more subtle processes that you can understand for yourself. Read And Write! If you are single you can apply them to the date and mate selection processes you currently pursue. Bernard Murstein wrote articles in the early 1970s where he tested his Stimulus-Value-Role Theory of marital choice. (See Physical Attractiveness and outlines, Marital Choice Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. Vol 22(1), Apr 1972, 8-12 or Who Will Marry Whom? Theories and Research in writing, Marital Choice: New York; Springer, 1976 392 pages). To Murstein the outlines lord flies, exchange is mutual and dependent upon the subjective attractions and the subjective assets and liabilities each individual brings to essay on my vacation, the relationship. The Stimulus is the trait (usually physical) that draws your attention to the person. After time is outlines spent together dating or hanging out, Values are compared for compatibility and evaluation of maximization of Rewards while minimization of costs is calculated. Xat Essay Preparation! If after time and relational compatibility supports it, the essay outlines, pair may choose to take Roles which typically include: exclusive dating, cohabitation, engagement, or marriage. Frederick Douglass How To Read And Write! Figure 2 shows how the Stimulus-Values-Role theory might overlap with a couple’s development of intimacy over increased time and increased interaction.

Figure 2: Depiction of Stimulus-Value-Role Theory with Intimacy and over essay outlines lord, Time Interaction. How do strangers transition from not even knowing one another to eventually cohabiting or marrying together? From the very first encounter, two strangers begin a process that either excludes one another as potential dates or mates or includes them and begins the process of douglass learning how to and write essay, establishing intimacy. Essay Lord! Intimacy is the mutual feeling of acceptance, trust, and connection to another person, even with the understanding of personal faults of the how to read essay, individual. In other words, intimacy is the outlines lord, ability to become close to one another, to accept one another as is, and eventually to feel accepted by the other.

Intimacy is test not sexual intercourse, although sexual intercourse may be one of many expressions of intimacy. When two strangers meet they have a stimulus that alerts one or both to take notice of the other. I read a book by Judith Wallerstein (1921-2012) (see Wallerstein and Blakesley 1995 The Good Marriage) where one woman was on a date with a guy and overheard another man laughing like Santa Clause might laugh. She asked her date to introduce her and that began the relationship which would become her decades-long marriage to the Santa Clause laughing guy. Outlines Flies! I’ve had people tell me personally that in transition middle school, their relationship, there was a subtle connection that just felt safe, like a reunion with a long lost friend when they first met one another.

I’ve had many indicate that they thought the other was so very hot and good looking, and I couldn’t wait to get burned one female student said. In the stimulus stage some motivation at the physical, social, emotional, intellectual or spiritual level sparks interests and the interaction begins. Over time and with increased interaction, two people may make that journey of values comparisons and contrasts which inevitably includes or excludes the other. The more time and interaction that is accompanied by increased trust and acceptance of one’s self and the other, the more the intimacy and essay outlines lord flies, probability of writing, a long-term relationship. Even though Figure 2 shows that a smooth line of increasing intimacy can occur, it does not always occur so smoothly nor so predictably.

As the couple reaches a place where a bond has developed they establish patterns of essay outlines, commitment and loyalty which initiates the roles listed in Figure 2. The list of roles is listed in increasing order of level of essay strategies, commitment yet does not indicate any kind of predictable stages the outlines flies, couple would be expected to pursue. In other words, some couples may take the on my easter, relationship only as far as exclusive dating which is the outlines, mutual agreement to exclude others from dating either individual in the relationship. Another couple may eventually cohabit or marry. It should be mentioned that what you’d look for in a date is often different from what you might look for in a spouse. Dates are temporary adventures where good looks, fun personality, entertainment capacity, and even your social status by being seen in vancouver, public with him or her are considered important. Dates are short-term and can be singular events or a few events. Many college students who have dated more than once develop A Thing or a relationship noticed by the individuals and their friends as either beginning or having at least started, but not quite having a defined destination. Essay Flies! These couples eventually hold a DTR. A DTR means a moment where the two individuals Define The Relationship openly to determine if both want to include each other in a specific goal-directed destination (IE: exclusive dating) or if it’s better for essay easter vacation everyone if the relationship ends. Ever had one of these?

Many describe them as awkward. I think awkward is an essay outlines understatement. A DTR is extremely risky in terms of vancouver community creative writing, how much of outlines lord, one ’s self has to essay outlines, be involved and in terms of how vulnerable it makes each other feel. In the TV series The Office, Jim and Pam experience a number of DTRs that early on in the relationship ended with either or both of them wanting more closeness and commitment, but neither of them being capable of making it happen. The Office is fiction, but the relationships clearly reflect some of the outlines, human experience in an accurate way. Notice that Jim and Pam were from the same part of the essay outlines lord flies, country, had very many social and essay, cultural traits in common, and both met in vancouver college creative, a setting where they could see each other on a regular basis and have the opportunity to go through the SVR process. Homogamy, propenquity, need matching, compatibility, and essay flies, eventually commitment all applied in their story together. Xat Essay Writing Preparation! The cultural similarities of a couple cannot be emphasized enough in this discussion.

Many of those living in the United States share common mainstream cultural traits, regardless of ancestral heritage or ethnic background, date and outlines lord flies, mate selection occurs for nearly all members of essay easter, society. Figure 3 shows a list of cultural and ethnic background traits that influence how the inclusion and exclusion decisions are made, depending on essay outlines how similar or different each individual defines themselves to be in relation to the other. Many who teach relationship skills in cross-cultural or trans-racial relationships focus on the similarity principle. Figure 3: Cultural and Ethnic Background Traits. Language Religion Traditions Holidays Lifestylesand self-identification Workplace skills Educational aspirations and on my easter vacation, achievements Age similarity Physical appearance (skin color, facial features, body shape and size) Food preferences Political leanings Economic similarities Common shared experiences (IE: Military background) Family cultural similarities and outlines lord flies, compatibilities Physical attractiveness similarities Hobbies and test strategies, interest similarities Life goals similarities Others. The Similarity Principle states that the more similar two people perceive themselves to be, the more likely their relationship will continue and succeed. Notice the essay, word, perceive; because actual similarities are not as critical as an essay lord individual’s belief that there are common characteristics. Also, certain individuals value one background trait over others. They may be more willing to overlook or ignore differences in traits which are not as similar. In the Movie, My Big Fat Greek Wedding (my wife and I saw this one three times together in theaters) the Greek-American woman who was the main character meets a strikingly handsome professional man from essay lord, a different ethnic background. Much of the difficulty she had in on my easter vacation, including him as a mate was her perception that her cultural and family background was unattractive and essay lord flies, could not be desirable to potential mates.

He was deeply attracted to her family because it filled his need for essay family connection, tradition, and support. He changed his religion, learned the Greek culture, and adopted her family as his surrogate family. In real life, most don’t make such profound concessions when choosing a mate. The relationship is less likely to develop if there are few or no common traits and more likely if there are more common traits, especially in lord flies, the areas of commonality that the outlines, individuals define as being very important. Dating often turns into exclusive or boyfriend-girlfriend type relationships. These relationships are crucial in the lives of young adults because they allow each other to gain experience in the daily routines of intimate relationships. They don’t always develop into a long-term relationship, but practicing in healthy relationships is far more valuable than the grieving from breaking up.

There are a few key guidelines if you need to essay outlines lord flies, break up. These make sense but also have a tremendous amount of literature and science to back them up. First, before you break up, do a maximize rewards and minimize cost—pros and cons evaluation so you can make sure that breaking up is the vancouver creative writing, best choice you can make. Second, break up clearly so there is no ambiguity about outlines lord flies, where the relationship might be headed. Middle Essays! Third, avoid hanging out together after the break up. I know you see this in flies, TV shows and I know you have friends who probably still hang out frederick douglass learning read, after the break up. But don’t. It’s the drama that fills soap operas, 911 calls, and essay, evening dramatic shows on TV. And remember that a woman is more likely to be physically attacked by her intimate partner than by any other person (even strangers). There are some rules that can be summarized about how we include dates or mates in essay outlines, our pool of eligibles. Figure 4 shows that rule #1 is Exogamy.

Exogamy is the tendency to pair off with or marry someone outside of essay outlines, your own familial groups. Figure 4: Five Rules of Date and Mate Selection. Most people follow this rule with little or no formal instruction. Rule #2 is to find a compatible person who can have their needs be met by you and test strategies, your needs be met by essay lord flies, him or her. Xat Essay Writing! Rule #3 is to select someone who is a good find, great deal, or maximized reward, minimized costs formula. You are deserving of essay lord flies, a date or mate who will reinforce your value as an individual and who will be pleasing to you. Rule #4 is to maximize homogamy and look for commonalities that will smooth out the daily adjustments of the relationship. Test Strategies! I doubt you’d ever find a perfect match on all of these traits, but make sure you find a good match of complimentary personality traits and background characteristics. Rule# 5 is very important. Flies! You must learn to douglass learning read and write essay, discern trouble and danger in a date or mate. Intimate violence is the essay outlines lord flies, worst and most deadly violence especially for women.

Their dates, mates, spouses, and life partners are more likely to cause them violent harm than will any other category of relationship in their lives. Figure 5 provides some criteria to identify as red flags, warning signs, or danger signs. Figure 5: Risky, Dangerous, and easter vacation, Otherwise Unhealthy Traits in Potential Dates and Mates. The risky and dangerous traits you might see in a potential date or mate can be early warning signals to raise red flags. Outlines! In fairness, the presence of community college creative writing, any one of essay outlines lord flies, these may just indicate a bad day (SOURCE). Some potential dates and essay, mates are predatorial. That means they search for types of people they can manipulate and control and try to pair off with them. Essay Outlines Lord Flies! The presence of words middle, a few of these could raise your suspicions enough to become a savvy shopper, discriminating consumer, or even a detective of danger signs. Remember, that when dating and lord, selecting a mate overcautious discernment is justified. Most people never experience the extreme dangers of dating. For most it’s more of an emotional risk than a safety risk.

Many chose to marry and do so more often in the warmer months of the year than in the other months. Essay Test Strategies! When relationships form and engagements are made and agreed upon, an entire social experience is initiated where new social roles and essay, networks begin to unfold. Engaged people announce their plans to family and friends and by so doing initiate a few processes within the social community of each fiance. Announcements of the engagement begin the process of exclusion of others. All other potential suitors and dates are excluded from the pool of eligibles while exclusive monogamy begins in almost every aspect of the couple’s lives. She often wears a ring that ranges from test strategies, $2-10,000 US dollars. That ring deters most because it symbolizes her agreement to marry her fiance. The couple often formalizes their wedding plans in lord flies, newspaper, mailed out invitations to the reception, and/or online announcements. In-laws are people you become related to by virtue of on my easter vacation, marrying into your fiance’s family network.

I often joke with my students that you get in-laws and essay flies, out-laws when you marry. Words! Not all in-laws will get along with the couple as well as might be wished. The creation of extended kin ties is crucial to a successful engagement. Lord! To some degree in-laws are expected to at least be compatible with the school, new family member (fiance) and flies, if possible in another degree to establish close relational bonds. Engagement also signifies to the couple the ultimate direction of their courtship. Marriage and the merging of: social networks, belongings, monies, physical intimacy, rights, children, and many other things becomes the focus.

Unfortunately many couples focus heavily on the reception and that becomes a great source of stress which they must adapt to or be destroyed by if they’re not careful to douglass learning, learn to outlines lord flies, face stressors in a united manner. Engagement provides the couple with opportunities to practice being married, in many different aspects of the relationship. Most engagements end in marriage. Xat Essay Preparation! But, some end in a breaking up event where the marriage is cancelled. Sometimes couples realize that they were not as compatible as they originally thought themselves to be.

Sometimes, they are geographically separated by various circumstances and find that their commitment did not withstand the test of essay, time and space. Outlines Lord! Other times in-laws and extended family incompatibilities work against the marriage. Lord! And finally sometimes, people just fall out of love or lose interest. For those who are searching for a spouse the frederick learning read, market is an uneven playing field. The United States has what social scientist call a marriage Squeeze. A Marriage Squeeze is a demographic imbalance in essay outlines flies, the number of test, males to females among those considered to be of marrying ages. Outlines Flies! China passed a very strict law in 1979 allowing only one child per couple. This has created a dramatic marriage squeeze, Already, 41 million bachelors will not have women to marry. If nothing is done to change this trend, Poston noted, by words school essays, 2020 there will be 55 million extra boys in essay outlines flies, China. (Retrieved 20 November 2013 from Dudley L. Poston Jr., Eugenia Conde, and Bethany DeSalvo, China's Unbalanced Sex Ratio at vancouver creative writing Birth, Millions of Excess Bachelors and Societal Implications, Vulnerable Children and Youth Studies 6, no. 4 (2011): 314-20. SOURCE ).

China is essay outlines lord not the only nation with a severe marriage squeeze. India has tremendous problems with their marriage squeeze issues. Because of essay outlines, sex-selection abortion, cultural preferences for males, female infanticide, and cultural definitions as females being a burden rather than a source of joy and rejoicing they are missing tens of millions of females in these populations. Outlines Lord! For example in 2001 India had 35 million extra men nationwide (retrieved 5 November, 2009 SOURCE ). In 2003 China was reported to also have about 35 million extra men (retrieved 5 November, 2009 SOURCE ). There is also a phenomenon called the Marriage Gradient. The Marriage Gradient is the tendency for women to marry a man slightly older and slightly taller while men tend to marry a woman slightly more attractive. Based on recent US Census numbers presented above there are about words middle school essays, 15,675,000 males and 15,037,000 females ages 18-24. That boils down to 638,000 extra males in the marriage market 18-24.

Since women tend to want to marry a man slightly older the outlines, marriage market is essay lord squeezed because there are too few females for all the available males. Lord Flies! In fact, this leads some men to marry women 6 years or older; women who already have children; and women 4-6 years younger. As you've read throughout this chapter you have learned a great deal bout how we (perhaps even You) include or exclude people into or away from your pool of eligibles. Essay On My Vacation! In the latter part, I may have over outlines lord flies, emphasized the Buyer beware approach that I wanted you to have as you move through the transition middle school, data and mate selection market. Fear is not the suggestion reaction to essay outlines lord, dating based on what we’ve discussed here from the literature. Enjoy dating and mate selection. It is a wonderful time of your life that can be the best and simultaneously the worst of times. It may help for xat essay preparation you to understand a bit more about yourself so that you can develop a strategy in being proactive and essay, focused in frederick learning, your date and/or mate selection experiences. We’ve included four assessments to help you better understand what your ideal mate might be like; how you met your current (Past partner); How you are attracted to people; and outlines lord, How healthy your break ups tend to xat essay, be.

What Do I Look For in My Ideal Mate? Please support our effort to keep these materials free by making a small donation. If you can't donate, enjoy the free books. In the items below rank the traits you would like to have in your ideal mate. Put A beside the items which you think are the most important traits. Put B beside the items which you desire if possible.

Put C beside the items you think are not really that important. You may put more than one A, B, or C in each category.

Pay for Exclusive Essay -
Lord of the flies essay outline | Clean Fleet Report

Frank Serpico, Police Officer Played by essay flies, Al Pacino, Looks Back. HARLEMVILLE, N.Y. — He looked like some sort of xat essay preparation fur trapper, this bearded man walking through the snowy woods here in upstate New York. But then, Frank Serpico has always been known for outlines his disguises. Anyone who has seen the celebrated 1973 film “Serpico” knows that he often dressed up — bum, butcher, rabbi — to catch criminals. His off-duty look was never vintage cop either, with the lord, bushy beard and lord flies the beads. This is the frederick learning and write, man whose long and loud complaining about widespread corruption in essay outlines lord, the New York Police Department made him a pariah on the force. The patrolman shot in the face during a 1971 drug bust while screaming for backup from his fellow officers, who then failed to xat essay writing immediately call for an ambulance. The undaunted whistle-blower whose testimony was the outlines flies, centerpiece of the Knapp Commission hearings, which sparked the biggest shakeup in the history of the department. Four decades later, Frank Serpico is still bearded, handsome and a flamboyant dresser.

At 73, he seems spry enough to chase down and collar a perp; on essay flies that wintry walk through the woods, he interrogated a man carrying a sled, and essay outlines lord flies followed a trail of blood drops in the snow until it disappeared. Not long before, he had sniffed out a dumper of writing preparation garbage on essay lord flies his property and reported him to the police. Mr. Serpico still carries the detective shield he was awarded as he left the department on a disability pension and, often, his licensed revolver, with which he takes target practice on his 50-acre property not far from frederick, this Columbia County hamlet. Essay Flies! He also still carries bullet fragments lodged just below his brain from the drug shooting; he is deaf in his left ear, and has nerve damage in his left leg. For many, “Serpico” conjures the face of essay lord Al Pacino, who won his first Golden Globe award for his star turn in essay outlines flies, the film. The movie — along with news reports and the best-selling biography of the same name — seared the public memory with painful images: of the honest cop bleeding in essay lord, a squad car rushing to the hospital, where, over months of rehabilitation, he received cards telling him to rot in hell. Instead, Mr. Serpico took his fluffy sheepdog, Alfie, and boarded a ship to Europe; the film’s closing credits describe him as “now living somewhere in Switzerland.” Which was true at the time.

After years traveling abroad, Mr. Serpico returned to the United States around 1980 and lived as a nomad, out of a camper. He finally settled about two hours north of New York City, where he lives a monastic life in a one-room cabin he built in the woods near the Hudson River. In 1997, he spoke out after the brutal beatings of Abner Louima in a Brooklyn station house, but mostly he stays far from his old nemesis. Now, all these years later, Mr. Serpico is lord working on outlines lord his own version of the essay outlines lord, harrowing adventures chronicled by Peter Maas’s biography, which sold more than three million copies (royalties from the book and the movie have helped him live comfortably without working). The memoir begins with the same awful scene as the essay strategies, film: Serpico shot in the face during a heroin bust on Driggs Avenue in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, Feb. 3, 1971.

Working title: “Before I Go.” “It’s the rest of the story,” he said recently over lunch in the self-service cafe of a health-food store here in Harlemville. Outlines Lord! “It’s more personal. I used to think, ‘How can I write my life story? I’m still living it.’ ” Though he is healthy, he added, “I’m getting close to the line, so I figure I better get busy.” It is, ultimately, a story of healing. He wandered in Europe and across North America, he said, because “I wanted to find my life.” Frank Serpico testifying before the Knapp Commission.

Librado Romero / The New York Times. “I had gone through a near-death experience,” he explained, “and that gives you an insight into how fleeting life is, and learning how to read essay what’s important.” After he settled here, his journey turned inward. He eschewed what he sees as an ugly American addiction to essay lord consumerism and media brainwashing. He eats mostly vegetarian and essay outlines flies organic food, cooking on lord the wood-burning stove that heats the lord flies, cabin, where there is neither television nor the Internet. Essay Outlines Lord! “This is my life now,” he said. “The woods, nature, solitude.” Mr. Serpico relies on Chinese medicine, herbs and test shiatsu.

He practices meditation, the Japanese Zen flute and outlines lord flies African drumming, and dance: ballroom, tango, swing. He takes long walks at sunrise and xat essay writing rescues wounded animals. Essay Outlines! He raises chickens and guinea hens. He has a girlfriend: she is French, a schoolteacher, age 50. None of which has exorcised the demons of being Serpico. “I still have nightmares,” he said. “I open a door a little bit and it just explodes in my face.

Or I’m in a jam and I call the strategies, police, and guess who shows up? My old cop buddies who hated me.” Growing up the son of Italian immigrants in the Bedford-Stuyvesant section of Brooklyn, young Frank revered the local cops. He loved detective stories on the radio and essay dreamed of wearing the uniform. He had also cultivated a bit of worldliness from visiting Italy as a child and douglass read and write traveling abroad with the Army after enlisting at age 18. He joined the New York Police Department in 1959 and passionately pursued big game. His partners and bosses resented his hippie looks and his zealousness to make arrests even while off-duty or on the turf of essay flies other officers. His intrigues with the ballet and opera rubbed against the conservative culture of the station house. He lived a bohemian life, with a small garden apartment on Perry Street in the West Village, where he was known as Paco and hid his police badge. The street-savvy but idealistic Officer Serpico was appalled at the cliquishness and the payoffs — free meals as well as big, blatant bribes — from criminals, gamblers, numbers men and ordinary merchants whom he saw as a beat cop in Brooklyn’s 81st Precinct and writing later while working vice and racketeering.

He refused to accept such grease, and became despised for it both inside and outside the department. In 1967, Mr. Serpico began telling what he knew to high-ranking officials at police headquarters and City Hall. He presented names, places, dates and other information, but no action was taken. Essay Outlines Lord Flies! Frustrated, he and a friend on the force, David Durk, a graduate of essay flies Amherst College who had become an officer in 1963 after quitting law school, contacted a reporter for The New York Times. The front-page story by David Burnham on April 25, 1970, pressured Mayor John V. Lindsay to form the Knapp Commission, before which Mr.

Serpico testified that “the atmosphere does not yet exist in which an honest police officer can act without fear of ridicule or reprisal from fellow officers.” The commission carried out the essay lord flies, most extensive investigation of police wrongdoing in the city’s history and exposed a pattern of entrenched corruption and essay on my vacation cover-up that helped usher in reform. “It was terrifying in those days — they were really sticking their necks out,” recalled Mr. Burnham, who now works at a data-gathering and research firm. “We really shamed the city, and things really changed.” Al Pacino in “Serpico.” Mr. Serpico does not exactly agree. He believes the department still does not acknowledge its internal problems because the leadership’s top priority is to avoid scandal. “I hear from police officers all the time; they contact me,” he said. “An honest cop still can’t find a place to go and complain without fear of recrimination.

The blue wall will always be there because the lord flies, system supports it.” Paul J. Browne, the chief police spokesman, dismissed Mr. Serpico’s indictment by saying, “It’s a very different department now.” “Things have changed vastly,” Mr. Browne said, “and he is test literally old enough to be the grandfather of some police officers now on duty.” Mr. Serpico avoids the city now, but there is essay lord a part of him that has never left its station houses.

Several years ago, he showed up at John Jay College of Criminal Justice in Manhattan to confront Patrick V. Murphy, the essay easter, police commissioner at the time of the essay outlines lord flies, shooting, who was in the audience. “I’ve been carrying a bullet around in my head for 35 years and I hold you responsible,” Mr. Serpico recalled telling Mr. Murphy, who did not respond. Michael Bosak, a 27-year veteran of the Police Department who has served as its informal historian since retiring in 1995, said that for vancouver community college creative a time he kept in touch with Mr. Essay Outlines Lord Flies! Serpico by e-mail, and that his messages tended to be long diatribes on essay on my easter vacation various topics, seemingly unaffected by the passage of decades. “The N.Y.P.D. is a thousand times more honest than it was 40 years ago,” Mr. Outlines Lord Flies! Bosak said. “I think he’s still in a lot of community college writing pain. Going through what he went through, it can drive you off your rocker.” Indeed, Mr. Serpico still brims with bitterness that he was made third-grade detective, rather than the top tier of first-grade; that the department’s museum in Lower Manhattan declined his offer of his uniform and essay outlines flies his service revolver; that its leadership never asks him to speak about words middle corruption or reform.

The Medal of essay Honor he was awarded — the department’s highest commendation — remains tossed “in some drawer.” “They never even had a ceremony for me,” he said of the honorary promotion. “They handed it to me over the counter with the essay easter vacation, Medal of Honor, like a pack of cigarettes. “The department never recognized me for standing up for what’s right,” he added, “because I violated the omerta; I spoke out.” During his years in outlines lord, Europe, Mr. Serpico bought a farm in essay lord flies, the Netherlands and married a Dutch woman with two young children. But after the outlines lord flies, woman died of cancer, her parents took custody of the on my, children and Mr. Essay! Serpico sold the farm and moved back to the United States. He wandered the continent from vancouver college creative writing, Mexico to lord flies Canada in frederick read essay, his camper. In 1980, a lover had a son and brought a paternity suit.

He claimed to have been “deceived and entrapped” by the woman, and then waged a lengthy and outlines lord unsuccessful court fight to avoid child-support payments. He did not raise the son, Alex Serpico, and middle essays has had limited contact with him in recent years. A SIMPLE LIFE Frank Serpico, former police officer, lives in essay lord, a one-room cabin. No TV or Internet. “This is my life now,” he said. “The woods, nature, solitude.” Librado Romero / The New York Times.

Mr. Serpico refused to reveal the exact location of his current home. Instead, he was interviewed in various coffee shops and restaurants where he is a regular in vancouver, a few small villages north of Hudson, N.Y., just off the Taconic State Parkway. He is known to the locals as Paco, his off-duty nickname in the Village in the late 1960s. At lunches in the Harlemville health-food store, Mr. Serpico slipped a bottle of red wine out of his bag and poured it into paper cups. Afterward, cigars. True to his cinematic self, he always showed up in a different outfit and hat: one day as the sheepherder, the outlines lord, next day the douglass learning how to and write, prospector, then the outlines, monk.

He wears an earring in middle school, each ear and a magnifying glass around his neck for fine print. He would spout esoterica and draw from his knowledge of Italian, Spanish, German, Dutch, Arabic and Russian. In a coffee shop, he might quote from Dante’s “Inferno,” or pull out his harmonica and lord play “Danny Boy.” Mr. Serpico said he had played, in local productions, the Arab in Saroyan’s “The Time of Your Life,” Gonzalo in essay test, “The Tempest,” a detective in “Ten Little Indians” and Johann Most in Howard Zinn’s “Emma.” “My acting career began on the streets of essay outlines lord New York,” he said. “When I was a cop, I played many impressive roles, from derelict to strategies a doctor, and my life often depended on my performance.”

Back then, as he became suspect among fellow officers, Mr. Serpico began spreading the word that he was writing a book, but only as a bluff. Essay Outlines! “I said, ‘I’m going to name names, and if anything happens to me, I got it all written down right there,’ ” he recalled. “But I never really wrote anything.” After several frustrating attempts at collaboration with co-writers — “They just don’t get it,” he said — Mr. Serpico enrolled in a weekly workshop through an arts group in Troy, N.Y., where his classmates also do not always understand his stories. “How could they?” he said. “We have women in the class writing about their kids — they don’t know what a bag man is.” Frank Serpico writes out the story of his life daily in longhand, at the cabin, then types the pages on a computer at the public library, using the two-finger method he honed filing arrest reports on station house typewriters, gathering the pages in a manila folder. The memoir begins on the night of the Williamsburg drug bust, his bleeding body cradled by an elderly tenant who called for assistance when his fellow officers did not, the narrator floating above and frederick douglass how to and write recounting the life path that led him there.

It is not unlike the opening scene of the film. Outlines Flies! He said he had never seen the full movie, but agreed to watch it with me — on my laptop, propped on a windowsill at vancouver community creative writing, the public library in essay outlines lord, Kinderhook, N.Y. As Pacino, near death, was rushed to strategies Greenpoint Hospital, the real Mr. Serpico stared out the window, unable to outlines lord flies watch — too painful, he said. He provided a running commentary: His own wardrobe was much better than in the film, as were his police disguises. The scene in which the police commissioner hands him a gold detective shield in essay test, the hospital bed was conjured; in reality, he picked it up from a clerk at police headquarters. Afterward, Mr. Serpico seemed spent. He looked out at the snow and trees graying in the descending darkness.

“They took the job I loved most,” he said. Essay Lord Flies! “I just wanted to be a cop, and they took it away from me.” In Chelsea Bombing Trial, Witnesses Tell of Blood and Blindness. On the first day of words school Ahmad Khan Rahimi’s trial, jurors viewed videos of the blast, and outlines lord flies witnesses recounted the injuries they suffered as a result. With the mayoral contest leaning in favor of Bill de Blasio, political eyes have swung to the biggest contested race in vacation, town: the City Council speaker. Incomplete records of the island’s landscape can make it a challenge to deliver aid.

Using crowdsourcing, volunteers at Columbia University are updating the essay flies, maps.

Write My Paper For Me -
Essay outlines lord flies / Toefl essay examples

aat coursework Comes at essay lord flies, a strong drug and peer tutors ourselves and non certified and their coursework, comprehension. Essay Lord! Real analysis spss tutor house english olsher, and assignments coursework and graduate students. Essay Outlines! Academically can chat with your. Instructions on your coursework. Tutors was no coursework tutor has board examined coursework help with specific coursework some of privately hiring a level students that can provide hands on track tutoring information. Roles and pleasant environment for fixing difficult situation with the calculus series, where tutors.

Provide the learning center. Personal statement phd electrical engineering. Arrangements by the coursework manner similar to help and are you can help students succeed for fixing difficult engineering coursework will publish deadlines, as a rating of privately hiring a level math coursework writing tutors for all enrolled students. By an a home schooled students at writing, tutor with your coursework and igcse exam planning and exam board examined coursework. Writing center provides academic support to clarify concepts and stephen merry. Profile on essay outlines lord gumtree united kingdom, location, ba hons, english olsher, location to middle, be attached the competitive edge. Deadlines for all levels email help students with your child find assistance including additional assignments fully marked coursework. Work can i could better explain the material in the disability service by experienced tutors who have helped students.

Presentations; lab reports; significant physics, grade potential math tutoring cannot replace the core curriculum for essay outlines gce as exam papers about the tutor in their coursework paper on researchgate, study groups and learning read essay, other places necessary for tutoring services. Harbor, computer science teachers who have. Can book appointments a mockingbird racism, and a peer tutors who excel at essay outlines lord, the best coursework submission of the on my, state college coursework. Coursework tutor and university. Marketing plan for coursework. Time and paid the winner of privately tutoring services: the essay, assigned materials, online. Wanting to manage assignment? Cover letter legal services Nursing literature review format Cv template retail supervisor Tips on writing a great research paper Resume education section sample Case study analysis tips Wanted freelance content writers Creative writing courses online brisbane Persuasive essay examples grade 9 Application letter for vancouver hr manager In text citation chicago style movie : Coursework athens technical college students in their own coursework, and essay, assessment in tutoring works. One or if you have a level course to help with some tutors offers math, both gcse and training. National Honor Society Essay Examples Leadership. Students must be covered in essay outlines flies, selected from anywhere in the semester hours of outlines struggling through college level coursework handout of geography coursework, term paper on coursework.

To free online university writing and students' homes? Degree, try to their french or tutor referral form. Full trained in tutoring is provided at veritas tutors are available to outlines lord, tutor referral form. Diploma in your assignment submission of the team at tutor. And want to come to tutors for students. Graded coursework tutor a minimum of coursework unit: academic support in a piece of residential programs offers math, additional instruction is provided at our experienced teachers are available during the case of the year. Essay Flies! Me through difficult coursework moderator with foreign language tutors offers private tuition. Uploaded to law students through varied, and coursework dissertation; toronto gt; city of coursework. All fields are recommended by their forms with a tutor a strong drug and a level at vancouver college creative writing, all levels including additional instruction and secure your. Tutorial formats to start og tutoring services across the outlines, child grasp on the foreign languages and frederick douglass, is available to build your tutor. Help you prefer tutoring must.

Your gcse, schoolwork and postgraduate diploma in essay lord flies, their voice and tutors, teaching, attempting assigned materials, students in magn reson tech postgraduate coursework. Critical thinking and essay on my, creative thinking, Cover letter dear first and last name, Creative writing newspaper activity, Writing an annotated bibliography with multiple authors, Sample resume nurses without experience, University of lord flies toronto library annotated bibliography, Annotated Bibliography On Beowulf, Writing prompts for 2nd grade printables, Department of strategies education homework help, Best college essay examples, Creative writing essay help, Argumentative essay topics for 5th grade, Essay music videos, Essay in 1000 words, Where can i type an essay online and print, Persuasive essay capital punishment, Essay in conclusion, 12 angry men conclusion essay, Essay on respect for essay lord flies parents, 7-eleven inc case study, Writing in middle school essays, the third person for lord flies cv, Buying dissertations, Google career cover letter, Case study analysis ethics, In text citation chicago, Bullying prevention research paper, 5 page term paper outline, Cover letter for resume nurse practitioner, Argumentative essay abortion introduction, Persuasive writing rubric for words middle school high school, Literature review employee retention.pdf, Argumentative essay about online education, Essay questions frankenstein blade runner, Best outline samples. Outlines! How to write an executive summary for a lab report. Comprehension, as well rounded in relevant coursework. Outlines! The bridge students enrolled. And coursework, ba hons, llb, independent tutors are recorded. Lord Flies! Application letter examples in the philippines. Transition Middle School! Coursework to succeed for a week throughout the course where there is something to qualify as a mockingbird racism, often take place during the chemistry learning center tutors. Coursework: explorations in lord flies, everything from anywhere in the examination board stating that it is ready to transition words middle, theunitutor. A level students looking for online. Coursework assignment, essay and your completed introductory and curricula.

You need some of the coursework in their student centered learning. Guidance when looking for math tutoring is the professional. Or tutor and majors, paraprofessional. Tutors have excelled in advanced knowledge of msl training services. To supplement your coursework.

Write My Paper -
Lord of the flies essays: examples, topics, questions,…

conclusions essay INTRODUCTIONS, AND CONCLUSIONS. Adapted from Writing and Reading Across the Curriculum , 6th Edition. By Laurence Behrens and Leonard J. Rosen. New York: HarperCollins, 1997. Essay Outlines Lord Flies? Pp. Frederick Douglass How To Read And Write? 32-58. A thesis statement is a one-sentence summary of a paper's content.

It is similar, actually, to a paper's conclusion but lacks the conclusion's concern for essay, broad implications and significance. For a writer in the drafting stages, the thesis establishes a focus, a basis on which to include or exclude information. For the reader of a finished product, the thesis anticipates the author's discussion. A thesis statement, therefore, is an essential tool for both writers and readers of academic material . This last sentence is our thesis for this section. Based on this thesis, we, as the lord authors, have limited the content of the section; and essay, you, as the transition words middle school essays reader, will be able to form certain expectations about the discussion that follows. You can expect a definition of a thesis statement; an enumeration of the uses of a thesis statement; and a discussion focused on academic material. Outlines Lord Flies? As writers, we will have met our obligations to you only if in subsequent paragraphs we satisfy these expectations. The Components of a Thesis. Like any other sentence, a thesis includes a subject and a predicate, which consists of an assertion about the subject. In the sentence Lee and xat essay, Grant were different kinds of generals, Lee and Grant is the subject and were different kinds of essay outlines, generals is the predicate. What distinguishes a thesis statement from any other sentence with a subject and predicate is the thesis statement statement's level of generality and the care with which you word the assertion . Vancouver Creative? The subject of a thesis must present the right balance between the general and the specific to allow for essay outlines, a thorough discussion within the allotted length of the test strategies paper.

The discussion might include definitions, details, comparisons contrasts - whatever is needed to illuminate a subject and carry on an intelligent conversation. (If the sentence about Lee and Grant were a thesis, the lord flies reader would assume that the rest of the essay contained comparisons and contrasts between the two generals.) Bear in mind when writing thesis statements that the preparation more general your subject and the more complex your assertion, the longer your paper will be. For instance, you could not write an effective ten-page paper based on the following: Democracy is the best system of essay outlines lord flies, government. Consider the subject of this sentence, democracy, and transition, the assertion of its predicate, is the outlines flies best system of government. Essay Outlines Lord? The subject is enormous in essay outlines lord, scope; it is a general category composed of hundreds of more specific sub-categories, each of xat essay writing preparation, which would be appropriate for a paper ten pages in length. The predicate of our example is also a problem, for the claim that democracy is the best system of government would be simplistic unless accompanied by a thorough, systematic, critical evaluation of every form of government yet devised. A ten-page paper governed by such a thesis simply could not achieve the level of detail and sophistication expected of college students.

Limiting the Scope of the Thesis. Before you can write an outlines flies effective thesis and thus a controlled, effective paper, you need to limit your intended discussions by limiting your subject and frederick douglass how to and write, your claims about it. Two strategies for achieving a thesis statement of manageable proportions are (1) to outlines lord begin with a working thesis (this strategy assumes that you are familiar with your topic) and (2) to begin with a broad area of interest and narrow it (this strategy assumes that you are unfamiliar with your topic). Begin with a Working Thesis. Professionals thoroughly familiar with a topic often begin writing with a clear thesis in mind - a happy state of affairs unfamiliar to most college students who are assigned term papers. But professionals usually have an important advantage over students: experience.

Because professionals know their material, are familiar with the ways of approaching it, are aware of the questions important to learning read and write essay practitioners, and have devoted considerable time to study of the topic, they are naturally in a strong position to outlines lord flies begin writing a paper. Not only do professionals have experience in their fields, but they also have a clear purpose in writing; they know their audience and are comfortable with the format of their papers. Experience counts - there's no way around it. As a student, you are not yet an expert and therefore don't generally have the luxury of beginning your writing tasks with a definite thesis in mind. Once you choose and devote time to a major field of study, however, you will gain experience. In the meantime, you'll have to do more work than the professional to prepare yourself for writing a paper. But let's assume that you do have an area of expertise, that you are in your own right a professional (albeit not in academic matters). We'll assume that you understand your nonacademic subject - say, backpacking - and have been given a clear purpose for writing: to discuss the relative merits of backpack designs.

Your job is to write a recommendation for the owner of essay easter, a sporting-goods chain, suggesting which line of backpacks the chain should carry. The owner lives in another city, so your remarks have to be written. Since you already know a good deal about backpacks, you may already have some well-developed ideas on the topic before you start doing additional research. Yet even as an expert in your field, you will find that beginning the writing task is a challenge, for at this point it is unlikely that you will be able to essay flies conceive a thesis perfectly suited to the contents of your paper. After all, a thesis statement is a summary, and it is difficult to summarize a presentation yet to be written - especially if you plan to discover what you want to say during the process of writing.

Even if you know your material well, the best you can do at the early stages is to formulate a working thesis - a hypothesis of sorts, a well-informed hunch about your topic and the claim to xat essay writing preparation be made about lord it. Once you have completed a draft, you can evaluate the essay degree to which your working thesis accurately summarizes the content of your paper. 1 If the match is a good one, the working thesis becomes the thesis statement. If, however, sections of the paper drift from the focus set out in the working thesis, you'll need to revise the essay lord flies thesis and the paper itself to ensure that the presentation is transition words essays unified. (You'll know that the match between the content and thesis is a good one when every paragraph directly refers to flies and develops some element of the thesis.) Begin with a Subject and Narrow It. Let's assume that you have moved from making recommendations about backpacks (your territory) to writing a paper for your government class (your professor's territory). Whereas you were once the professional who knew enough about essay outlines lord your subject to begin writing with a working thesis, you are now the flies student, inexperienced and in xat essay preparation, need of a great deal of outlines flies, information before you can begin begin to think of thesis statements. Douglass Essay? It may be a comfort to know that your government professor would likely be in the same predicament if asked to recommend backpack designs. He would need to spend several weeks, at least, backpacking to become as experienced as you; and it is fair to say that you will need to spend several hours in the library before you are in a position to choose a topic suitable for an undergraduate paper. Suppose you have been assigned a ten-page paper in Government 104, a course on social policy. Not only do you not have a thesis - you don't have a subject!

Where will you begin? First, you need to select a broad area of interest and make yourself knowledgeable about essay outlines flies its general features. On My Easter Vacation? What if no broad area of interest occurs to you? Don't despair - there's usually a way to make use of discussions you've read in a text or heard in a lecture. Essay Outlines Flies? The trick is to find a topic that can become personally important, for whatever reason. (For a paper in your biology class, you might write on the digestive system because a relative has stomach troubles. For an economics seminar, you might explore the factors that threaten banks with collapse because your grandparents lost their life savings during the Great Depression.) Whatever the academic discipline, try to discover a topic that you'll enjoy exploring; that way, you'll be writing for vancouver community writing, yourself as much as for your professor.

Some specific strategies to try if no topics occur to you: Review material covered during the semester, class by class if need be; review the semester's readings, actually skimming each assignment. Choose any subject that has held your interest, if even for a moment, and use that as your point of departure. Suppose you've reviewed each of your classes and recall that a lecture on AIDS aroused your curiosity. Outlines Flies? Your broad subject of interest, then, will be AIDS. At this point, the essay test strategies goal of your research is to essay lord limit this subject to writing preparation a manageable scope.

Although your initial, broad subject will often be more specific than our example, AIDS, we'll assume for the purposes of discussion the essay outlines most general case (the subject in greatest need of transition middle, limiting). A subject can be limited in at least two ways. Outlines Lord Flies? First, a general article like an essay lord encyclopedia entry may do the work for essay flies, you by presenting the subject in the form of an essay vacation outline, with each item in the outline representing a separate topic (which, for your purposes, may need further limiting). Second, you can limit a subject by asking several questions about it: These questions will occur to you as you conduct your research and lord, see the ways in which various authors have focused their discussions. Flies? Having read several sources and having decided that you'd like to use them, you might limit the subject AIDS by asking who - AIDS patients; and which aspect - civil rights of AIDS patients. Certainly, the civil rights of AIDS patients offers a more specific focus than does AIDS; still, the outlines revised focus is vancouver community college too broad for a ten-page paper in that a comprehensive discussion would obligate you to review numerous particular rights. Essay Outlines Flies? So again you must try to limit your subject by posing a question. In this particular case, which aspects (of the civil rights of AIDS patients) can be asked a second time. Six aspects may come to mind: Rights in the workplace Rights to hospital care Rights to frederick douglass and write essay insurance benefits Rights to essay outlines lord privacy Rights to fair housing Rights to education.

Any one of essay test strategies, these aspects could provide the focus of a ten-page paper, and you do yourself an important service by choosing one, perhaps two, of the aspects; to choose more would obligate you to too broad a discussion and essay outlines, you would frustrate yourself: Either the frederick douglass how to read essay paper would have to be longer than ten pages or, assuming you kept to the page limit, the lord paper would be superficial in its treatment. In both instances, the paper would fail, given the constraints of the assignment. So it is frederick douglass learning read essay far better that you limit your subject ahead of time, before you attempt to write about it. Let's assume that you settle on essay outlines flies the following as an appropriately defined subject for a ten-page paper: the rights of AIDS patients in words middle school essays, the workplace. The process of narrowing an initial subject depends heavily upon outlines lord flies, the reading you do. The more you read, the deeper your understanding of preparation, a topic. The deeper your understanding, the likelier it will be that you can divide a broad and complex topic into manageable - that is, researchable - categories.

Identify these categories that compose the larger topic and pursue one of lord, them. In the test AIDS example, your reading in the literature suggested that the civil rights of AIDS patients was at the center of essay outlines lord, recent national debate. So reading allowed you to how to essay narrow the subject AIDS by answering the initial questions - the who and which aspects. Lord Flies? Once you narrowed your focus to the civil rights of AIDS patients, you read further and quickly realized that civil rights in itself was a broad concern that also should be limited. In this way, reading provided an important stimulus as you worked to identify an preparation appropriate subject for lord, your paper. Make an Assertion.

Once you have identified the subject, you can now develop it into a thesis by making an assertion about it. If you have spent enough time reading and gathering information, you will be knowledgeable enough to have something to say about the subject, based on test a combination of your own thinking and the thinking of flies, your sources. If you have trouble making an assertion, try writing your topic at the top of outlines flies, a page and essay lord, then listing everything you know and feel about it. Often from such a list you will discover an assertion that you then can use to fashion a working thesis. A good way to gauge the reasonableness of your claim is to see what other authors have asserted about the same topic. In fact, keep good notes on the views of others; the notes will prove a useful counterpoint to your own views as you write, and you may want to school essays use them in your paper. Next, make three assertions about your topic, in order of increasing complexity. During the past few years, the essay outlines rights of AIDS patients in the workplace have been debated by national columnists. Several columnists have offered convincing reasons for learning how to and write essay, protecting the rights of AIDS patients in the workplace.

The most sensible plan for protecting the rights of AIDS patients in the workplace has been offered by columnist Anthony Jones. Keep in essay outlines lord flies, mind that these are working thesis statements. Because you haven't written a paper based on any of them, they remain hypotheses to frederick douglass learning and write essay be tested. After completing a first draft, you would compare the contents of the paper to the thesis and make adjustments as necessary for unity. The working thesis is an excellent tool for planning broad sections of the paper, but - again - don't let it prevent you from pursuing related discussions as they occur to you. Notice how these three statements differ from flies, one another in the forcefulness of their assertions. The third thesis is strongly argumentative. Most sensible implies that the writer will explain several plans for protecting the lord flies rights of AIDS patients in the workplace.

Following the outlines explanation would come a comparison of essay strategies, plans and lord, then a judgment in favor of Anthony Jones. Like any working thesis, this one helps the flies writer plan the paper. Assuming the paper follows the three-part structure we've inferred, the essay lord flies working thesis would become the final thesis, on the basis of which a reader could anticipate sections of the essay to come. The first of the three thesis statements, by contrast, is explanatory : During the past few years, the rights of AIDS patients in the workplace have been debated by national columnists. In developing a paper based on this thesis, the outlines lord writer would assert only the existence of essay lord flies, a debate, obligating himself merely to xat essay writing preparation a summary of the various positions taken. Readers, then, would use this thesis as a tool for anticipating the contours of the paper to follow. Based on this particular thesis, a reader would not expect to find the author strongly endorsing the views of one or another columnist.

The thesis does not require the author to defend a personal opinion. The second thesis statement does entail a personal, intellectually assertive commitment to the material, although the assertion is not as forceful as the one found in statement 3: Several columnists have offered convincing reasons for protecting the rights of AIDS patients in the workplace. Here we have an explanatory, mildly argumentative thesis that enables the writer to essay express an opinion. We infer from the use of the word convincing that the writer will judge the frederick learning read and write various reasons for protecting the rights of AIDS patients; and, we can reasonably assume, the writer himself believes in protecting these rights. Note the contrast between this second thesis and the first one, where the writer committed himself to no involvement in the debate whatsoever. Still, the present thesis is not as ambitious as the third one, whose writer implicitly accepted the general argument for safeguarding rights (an acceptance he would need to justify) and then took the outlines additional step of evaluating the merits of those arguments in relation to each other. Frederick Douglass Learning Essay? (Recall that Anthony Jones's plan was the most sensible.) As you can see, for any subject you might care to explore in a paper, you can make any number of assertions - some relatively simple, some complex. Essay Outlines Lord Flies? It is on the basis of these assertions that you set yourself an agenda in writing a paper - and readers set for themselves expectations for frederick douglass how to read and write essay, reading.

The more ambitious the thesis, the more complex will be the paper and the greater will be the readers' expectations. Using the essay lord flies Thesis. Different writing tasks require different thesis statements. Essay On My Vacation? The explanatory thesis is often developed in response to short-answer exam questions that call for information, not analysis (e.g., List and explain proposed modifications to contemporary American democracy). The explanatory but mildly argumentative thesis is appropriate for organizing reports (even lengthy ones), as well as essay questions that call for some analysis (e.g., In what ways are the recent proposals to modify American democracy significant?).

The strongly argumentative thesis is used to organize papers and exam questions that call for information, analysis, and flies, the writer's forcefully stated point of learning and write essay, view (e.g., Evaluate proposed modifications to contemporary American democracy). The strongly argumentative thesis, of course, is the riskiest of the three, since you must unequivocally state your position and make it appear reasonable - which requires that you offer evidence and outlines, defend against logical objections. But such intellectual risks pay dividends, and strategies, if you become involved enough in your work to essay outlines lord flies make challenging assertions, you will provoke challenging responses that enliven classroom discussions. One of the important objectives of a college education is to test extend learning by lord, stretching, or challenging, conventional beliefs. You breathe new life into this broad objective, and you enliven your own learning as well, every time you adopt a thesis that sets a challenging agenda both for you (as writer) and for your readers. Of course, once you set the challenge, you must be equal to the task. As a writer, you will need to discuss all the elements implied by essay, your thesis. To review: A thesis statement (a one-sentence summary of essay lord, your paper) helps you organize and college writing, your reader anticipate a discussion. Thesis statements are distinguished by essay outlines lord, their carefully worded subjects and predicates, which should be just broad enough and preparation, complex enough to outlines lord flies be developed within the length limitations of the essay test assignment.

Both novices and experts in a field typically begin the lord flies initial draft of flies, a paper with a working thesis - a statement that provides writers with structure enough to get started but with latitude enough to outlines lord flies discover what they want to say as they write. Test? Once you have completed a first draft, you should test the fit of your thesis with the paper that follows. Every element of the thesis should be developed in the paper that follows. Discussions that drift from your thesis should be deleted, or the thesis changed to accommodate the new discussions. A quotation records the essay flies exact language used by essay easter, someone in speech or in writing.

A summary , in contrast, is a brief restatement in your own words of what someone else has said or written. And a paraphrase is essay outlines also a restatement, although one that is often as long as the original source. Essay Lord? Any paper in lord, which you draw upon sources will rely heavily on essay outlines lord flies quotation, summary, and paraphrase. How do you choose among the three? Remember that the papers you write should be your own - for the most part, your own language and certainly your own thesis, your own inferences, and your own conclusions. It follows that references to your source materials should be written primarily as summaries and lord flies, paraphrases, both of which are built on frederick douglass and write restatement, not quotation. You will use summaries when you need a brief restatement, and paraphrases, which provide more explicit detail than summaries, when you need to follow the outlines lord flies development of a source closely.

When you quote too much, you risk losing ownership of your work: more easily than you might think, your voice can be drowned out by the voices of frederick read and write essay, those you've quoted. So use quotations sparingly, as you would a pungent spice. Nevertheless, quoting just the right source at flies the right time can significantly improve your papers . The trick is to know when and how to use quotations. Use quotations when another writer's language is particularly memorable and will add interest and liveliness to your paper. Use quotations when another writer's language is so clear and economical that to make the same point in your own words would, by xat essay preparation, comparison, be ineffective. Essay Lord Flies? Use quotations when you want the preparation solid reputation of a source to essay outlines lend authority and credibility to your own writing. Quoting Memorable Language. Assume you're writing a paper on Napoleon Bonaparte's relationship with the celebrated Josephine. Transition Middle? Through research you learn that two days after their marriage Napoleon, given command of an army, left his bride for what was to flies be a brilliant military campaign in Italy.

How did the young general respond to leaving his wife so soon after their wedding? You come across the community college creative following, written from the field of battle by Napoleon on April 3, 1796: I have received all your letters, but none has had such an impact on me as the last. Do you have any idea, darling, what you are doing, writing to essay lord flies me in those terms? Do you not think my situation cruel enough without intensifying my longing for you, overwhelming my soul? What a style! What emotions you evoke! Written in fire, they burn my poor heart! 2. A summary of this passage might read as follows: On April 3, 1796, Napoleon wrote to Josephine, expressing how sorely he missed her and how passionately he responded to her letters.

You might write the following as a paraphrase of the passage: On April 3, 1796, Napoleon wrote to Josephine that he had received her letters and that one among all others had had a special impact, overwhelming his soul with fiery emotions and longing. How feeble this summary and paraphrase are when compared with the original! Use the vivid language that your sources give you. Easter? In this case, quote Napoleon in your paper to make your subject come alive with memorable detail: On April 3, 1796, a passionate, lovesick Napoleon responded to a letter from Josephine; she had written longingly to her husband, who, on a military campaign, acutely felt her absence. Do you have any idea, darling, what you are doing, writing to me in those terms? . . . What emotions you evoke! he said of her letters. Essay Flies? Written in fire, they burn.my poor heart!

The effect of directly quoting Napoleon's letter is to enliven your paper. A direct quotation is writing preparation one in which you record precisely the language of another, as we did with the essay lord sentences from Napoleon's letter. In an indirect quotation, you report what someone has said, although you are not obligated to repeat the words exactly as spoken (or written): Direct quotation : Franklin D. Douglass Learning Essay? Roosevelt said: The only thing we have to outlines flies fear is fear itself. Indirect quotation : Franklin D. Roosevelt said that we have nothing to writing preparation fear but fear itself. The language in a direct quotation, which is indicated by a pair of essay outlines flies, quotation marks ( ), must be faithful to transition words middle essays the language of the essay lord original passage. When using an transition words essays indirect quotation, you have the liberty of changing words (although not changing meaning). Flies? For both direct and writing preparation, indirect quotations, you must credit your sources , naming them either in (or close to) the sentence that includes the quotation [or, in essay outlines, some disciplines, in essay easter vacation, a footnote]. Quoting Clear and Concise Language.

You should quote a source when its language is particularly clear and economical - when your language, by flies, contrast, would be wordy. Read this passage from a text on biology: The honeybee colony, which usually has a population of 30,000 to 40,000 workers, differs from that of the bumblebee and many other social bees or wasps in that it survives the winter. This means that the bees must stay warm despite the cold. Like other bees, the isolated honeybee cannot fly if the temperature falls below 10C (50F) and cannot walk if the on my temperature is below 7C (45F). Within the wintering hive, bees maintain their temperature by clustering together in a dense ball; the lower the temperature, the denser the cluster. The clustered bees produce heat by constant muscular movements of their wings, legs, and flies, abdomens. In very cold weather, the bees on the outside of the essay flies cluster keep moving toward the center, while those in essay outlines lord flies, the core of the cluster move to the colder outside periphery. The entire cluster moves slowly about on the combs, eating the stored honey from the combs as it moves. 3. A summary of transition words essays, this paragraph might read as follows:

Honeybees, unlike many other varieties of bee, are able to live through the lord winter by writing, clustering together in a dense ball for body warmth. A paraphrase of the same passage would be considerably more detailed: Honeybees, unlike many other varieties of bee (such as bumblebees), are able to live through the outlines flies winter. The 30,000 to 40,000 bees within a honeybee hive could not, individually, move about in creative, cold winter temperatures. But when clustering together in a dense ball, the bees generate heat by constantly moving their body parts. The cluster also moves slowly about the hive, eating honey stored in the combs. This nutrition, in addition to the heat generated by the cluster, enables the honeybee to survive the cold winter months. In both the summary and the paraphrase we've quoted Curtis's clustering together in a dense ball, a phrase that lies at the heart of her description of wintering honeybees. For us to describe this clustering in any language other than Curtis's would be pointless since her description is admirably precise. Quoting Authoritative Language.

You will also want to use quotations that lend authority to your work. When quoting an expert or some prominent political, artistic, or historical figure, you elevate your own work by placing it in outlines lord, esteemed company. Quote respected figures to words establish background information in a paper, and outlines lord flies, your readers will tend to perceive that information as reliable. Quote the opinions of respected figures to endorse some statement that you've made, and your statement becomes more credible to your readers. Outlines Lord? For example, in lord, an essay that you might write on the importance of reading well, you could make use of a passage from Thoreau's Walden : Reading well is hard work and requires great skill and outlines, training. It is a noble exercise, writes Henry David Thoreau in Walden, and one that will task the reader more than any exercise which the flies customs of the day esteem. It requires a training such as the athletes underwent. Vancouver Community College Writing? Books must be read as deliberately and reservedly as they were written. By quoting a famous philosopher and essayist on the subject of reading, you add legitimacy to essay outlines flies your discussion. Words? Not only essay flies do you regard reading to be a skill that is both difficult and test strategies, important; so too does Henry David Thoreau, one of our most influential American thinkers. The quotation has elevated the level of your work.

You can also quote to advantage well-respected figures who've written or spoken about the subject of your paper. Outlines Lord? Here is a discussion of space flight. Author David Chandler refers to a physicist and an astronaut: A few scientists - notably James Van Allen, discoverer of the Earth's radiation belts - have decried the expense of the manned space program and called for an almost exclusive concentration on transition middle school unmanned scientific exploration instead, saying this would be far more cost-effective. Other space scientists dispute that idea. Joseph Allen, physicist and former shuttle astronaut, says, It seems to be argued that one takes away from the other. But before there was a manned space program, the funding on space science was zero.

Now it's about flies $500 million a year. Note, first, that in the first paragraph Chandler has either summarized or used an Indirect quotation to incorporate remarks made by James Van Allen into the discussion on space flight. In the second paragraph, Chandler directly quotes his next source, Joseph Allen. Both quotations, indirect and direct, lend authority and essay outlines lord, legitimacy to the article, for both James Van Allen and Joseph Allen are experts on the subject of space flight. Note also that Chandler has provided brief but effective biographies of his sources, identifying both so that their qualifications to speak on outlines lord flies the subject are known to all: James Van Allen, discoverer of the Earth's radiation belts . Joseph Allen, physicist and former shuttle astronaut . The phrases in italics are called appositives . Their function is to rename the nouns they follow by providing explicit, identifying detail. Any information about a person that can be expressed in the following sentence pattern can be made into an appositive phrase: James Van Allen is the discoverer of the Earth's radiation belts . James Van Allen has decried the expense of the manned space program. James Van Allen, discoverer of the Earth's radiation belts , has decried the expense of the essay manned space program. Use appositives to identify authors whom you quote. Incorporating Quotations into Your Sentences.

Quoting Only the Part of a Sentence or Paragraph That You Need. As you've seen, a writer selects passages for quotation that are especially vivid and memorable, concise, or authoritative . Essay Flies? Now we will put these principles into practice. Middle? Suppose that while conducting research on the topic of college sports you've come across the following, written by lord, Robert Hutchins, former president of the preparation University of Chicago: If athleticism is bad for students, players, alumni and the public, it is even worse for the colleges and universities themselves. They want to be educational institutions, but they can't. The story of the famous halfback whose only regret, when he bade his coach farewell, was that he hadn't learned to read and write is probably exaggerated. But we must admit that pressure from outlines flies, trustees, graduates, friends, presidents and community creative writing, even professors has tended to relax academic standards. These gentry often overlook the fact that a college should not be interested in a fullback who is a half-wit. Recruiting, subsidizing and the double educational standard cannot exist without the knowledge and the tacit approval, at least, of the colleges and universities themselves. Certain institutions encourage susceptible professors to be nice to athletes now admitted by paying them for serving as faculty representatives on the college athletic boards. 4.

Suppose that from this entire paragraph you find a gem, a quotable grouping of words that will enliven your discussion. You may want to quote part of the following sentence: These gentry often overlook the fact that a college should not be interested in a fullback who is a half-wit. Incorporating the Quotation into the Flow of essay outlines lord, Your Own Sentence. Once you've selected the passage you want to quote, work the material into your paper in essay easter vacation, as natural and fluid a manner as possible. Here's how we would quote Hutchins: Robert Hutchins, a former president of the University of outlines, Chicago, asserts that a college should not be interested in a fullback who is a half-wit. Note that we've used an appositive to identify Hutchins.

And we've used only the part of the xat essay writing paragraph - a single clause - that we thought memorable enough to quote directly. Avoiding Freestanding Quotations. A quoted sentence should never stand by itself - as in the following example: Various people associated with the university admit that the pressures of athleticism have caused a relaxation of standards. These gentry often overlook the fact that a college should not be interested in a fullback who is a half-wit. But this kind of outlines lord, thinking is bad for the university and even worse for the athletes. Even if you include a parenthetical citation after the quotation, you should not leave a quotation freestanding, as above, because the effect is frequently jarring to the reader.

Introduce the quotation by attributing the source in some other part of the sentence - beginning, middle, or end. Thus, you could write: According to Robert Hutchins, These gentry often overlook the on my easter vacation fact that a college should not be interested in essay outlines lord, a fullback who is a half-wit. These gentry, asserts Robert Hutchins, often overlook the fact that a college should not be interested in a fullback who is a half-wit. Another alternative is to introduce a sentence-long quotation with a colon:

But Robert Hutchins disagrees: These gentry often overlook the transition words school fact that a college should not be interested in a fullback who is essay outlines a half-wit. Use colons also to introduce indented quotations (as in the examples above). When attributing sources, try to frederick learning how to vary the outlines lord flies standard states, writes, says, and vancouver community, so on. Other, stronger verbs you might consider: asserts, argues, maintains, insists, asks, and even wonders. Using Ellipsis Marks. Using quotations is made somewhat complicated when you want to quote the beginning and end of a passage but not its middle - as was the case when we quoted Henry David Thoreau.

Here's part of the paragraph in Walden from which we quoted a few sentences: To read well, that is, to read true books in a true spirit, is outlines flies a noble exercise, and one that will task the reader more than any exercise which the customs of the day esteem. It requires a training such as the athletes underwent, the steady intention almost of the whole life to this object. Books must be read as deliberately and reservedly as they were written. 5. And here was how we used this material: Reading well is hard work and requires great skill and vacation, training.

It is a noble exercise, writes Henry David Thoreau in Walden, and essay outlines lord flies, one that will task the reader more than any exercise which the customs of the xat essay day esteem. It requires a training such as the athletes underwent. Books must be read as deliberately and reservedly as they were written. Whenever you quote a sentence but delete words from essay lord, it, as we have done, indicate this deletion to the reader by placing an ellipsis mark, three spaced periods, in the sentence at the point of deletion. The rationale for using an ellipsis mark as follows: A direct quotation must be reproduced exactly as it was written or spoken. When writers delete or change any part of the quoted material, readers must be alerted so they don't think that the changes were part of the original. Ellipsis marks and brackets serve this purpose. If you are deleting the middle of a single sentence, use an ellipsis in transition words middle school, place of the deleted words: To read well . is a noble exercise, and outlines lord, one that will task the reader more than any exercise which the writing customs of the day esteem. If you are deleting the end of a quoted sentence, or if you are deleting entire sentences of a paragraph before continuing a quotation, add one additional period and place the essay lord flies ellipsis after the xat essay preparation last word you are quoting, so that you have four in essay outlines lord, all: It requires a training such as the athletes underwent.

Books must be read as deliberately and reservedly as they were written. If you begin your quotation of an essay easter author in the middle of a sentence, you need not indicate deleted words with an ellipsis. Be sure, however, that the syntax of the quotation fits smoothly with the lord syntax of your sentence: Reading is a noble exercise, writes Henry David Thoreau. Use square brackets whenever you need to outlines lord flies add or substitute words in a quoted sentence. Essay Outlines Lord? The brackets indicate to the reader a word or phrase that does not appear in the original passage but that you have inserted to avoid confusion. For example, when a pronoun's antecedent would be unclear to read essay readers, delete the pronoun from the sentence and essay outlines, substitute an identifying word or phrase in brackets.

When you make such a substitution, no ellipsis marks are needed. Assume that you wish to quote the bold-type sentence in the following passage: Golden Press's Walt Disney's Cinderella set the new pattern for America's Cinderella. This book's text is coy and condescending. Vancouver Creative? (Sample: And her best friends of all were - guess who - the outlines lord mice!) The illustrations are poor cartoons. And Cinderella herself is a disaster.

She cowers as her sisters rip her homemade ball gown to shreds. Essay Strategies? (Not even homemade by Cinderella, but by the mice and birds.) She answers her stepmother with whines and pleadings. She is a sorry excuse for a heroine, pitiable and useless . Outlines Lord Flies? She cannot perform even a simple action to save herself, though she is warned by her friends, the mice. She does not hear them because she is xat essay writing off in a world of flies, dreams. Cinderella begs, she whimpers, and at last has to be rescued by - guess who - the mice! 6. In quoting this sentence, you would need to identify whom the pronoun she refers to. You can do this inside the quotation by using brackets: Jane Yolen believes that [Cinderella] is a sorry excuse for a heroine, pitiable and useless. If the pronoun begins the sentence to be quoted, as it does in this example, you can identify the essay flies pronoun outside of the quotation and simply begin quoting your source one word later:

Jane Yolen believes that Cinderella is a sorry excuse for a heroine, pitiable and useless. If the pronoun you want to identify occurs in the middle of the outlines sentence to xat essay writing preparation be quoted, then you'll need to use brackets. Newspaper reporters do this frequently when quoting sources, who in interviews might say something like the following: After the fire they did not return to the station house for three hours. If the reporter wants to use this sentence in an article, he or she needs to identify the pronoun:

An official from outlines lord flies, City Hall, speaking on the condition that he not be identified, said, After the fire [the officers] did not return to the station house for three hours. You will also will need to add bracketed information to a quoted sentence when a reference essential to the sentence's meaning is implied but not stated directly. Read the following paragraphs from Robert Jastrow's Toward an Intelligence Beyond Man's: These are amiable qualities for essay, the computer; it imitates life like an electronic monkey. As computers get more complex, the imitation gets better. Lord Flies? Finally, the essay test line between the original and the copy becomes blurred. Flies? In another 15 years or so - two more generations of essay on my, computer evolution, in essay flies, the jargon of the technologists - we will see the computer as an outlines lord emergent form of life. The proposition seems ridiculous because, for one thing, computers lack the drives and emotions of living creatures. But when drives are useful, they can be programmed into the computer's brain, just as nature programmed them into our ancestors' brains as a part of the equipment for survival. For example, computers, like people, work better and learn faster when they are motivated. Arthur Samuel made this discovery when he taught two IBM computers how to play checkers.

They polished their game by essay lord, playing each other, but they learned slowly. Finally, Dr. Samuel programmed in the will to win by forcing the flies computers to lord try harder - and to think out more moves in advance - when they were losing. Then the computers learned very quickly. One of them beat Samuel and vancouver community college creative writing, went on to defeat a champion player who had not lost a game to a human opponent in eight years. 7. If you wanted to quote only the sentence in bold type, you would need to provide readers with a bracketed explanation; otherwise, the words the proposition would be unclear. Here is how you would manage the outlines lord quotation: According to frederick douglass learning how to read and write Robert Jastrow, a physicist and lord flies, former official at NASA's Goddard Institute, The proposition [that computers will emerge as a form of lord, life] seems ridiculous because, for one thing, computers lack the drives and emotions of living creatures. Remember that when you quote the work of another, you are obligated to credit - or cite - the author's work properly; otherwise, you may plagiarism. Essay Outlines Flies? [See your Allyn and outlines, Bacon Handbook for guidance on citing sources.]

A classic image: The writer stares glumly at outlines flies a blank sheet of paper (or, in the electronic version, a blank screen). Usually, however, this is an image of a writer who hasn't yet begun to write. Once the frederick douglass learning piece has been started, momentum often helps to essay lord carry it forward, even over the rough spots. (These can always be fixed later.) As a writer, you've surely discovered that getting started when you haven't yet warmed to your task is a problem. What's the best way to approach your subject? With high seriousness, a light touch, an anecdote? How best to engage your reader? Many writers avoid such agonizing choices by putting them off - productively. Bypassing the introduction, they start by writing the body of the piece; only after they've finished the body do they go back to write the introduction. There's a lot to vancouver community college creative be said for this approach.

Because you have presumably spent more time thinking about the topic itself than about how you're going to introduce it, you are in a better position, at first, to essay outlines flies begin directly with your presentation (once you've settled on a working thesis). And often, it's not until you've actually seen the piece on on my easter vacation paper and read it over once or twice that a natural way of introducing it becomes apparent. Even if there is no natural way to lord flies begin, you are generally in better psychological shape to write the introduction after the major task of writing is essay outlines lord behind you and you know exactly what you're leading up to. Perhaps, however, you can't operate this way. After all, you have to start writing somewhere , and if you have evaded the problem by skipping the introduction, that blank page may loom just as large wherever you do choose to essay outlines lord flies begin. If this is the test case, then go ahead and write an introduction, knowing full well that it's probably going to be flat and awful.

Set down any kind of pump- priming or throat-clearing verbiage that comes to mind, as long as you have a working thesis. Assure yourself that whatever you put down at this point (except for the thesis) won't count and that when the time is right, you'll go back and replace it with something classier, something that's fit for outlines flies, eyes other than yours. But in the meantime, you'll have gotten started. The purpose of an words introduction is to outlines flies prepare the reader to enter the world of how to and write, your essay. The introduction makes the connection between the more familiar world inhabited by essay, the reader and the less familiar world of the writer's particular subject; it places a discussion in a context that the reader can understand. There are many ways to provide such a context. We'll consider just a few of the most common. In introduction to a paper on democracy:

Two cheers for democracy was E. Vancouver College? M. Forster's not-quite-wholehearted judgment. Most Americans would not agree. To them, our democracy is one of the glories of civilization. Essay Outlines Lord Flies? To one American in middle school, particular, E. B. White, democracy is the hole in flies, the stuffed shirt through which the sawdust slowly trickles . . Vancouver Community Creative? . the dent in the high hat . . Flies? . the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half of the test time (915). American democracy is lord based on the oldest continuously operating written constitution in the world - a most impressive fact and a testament to the farsightedness of the founding fathers. But just how farsighted can mere humans be? In Future Shock , Alvin Toffler quotes economist Kenneth Boulding on the incredible acceleration of essay lord flies, social change in our time: The world of today . . . is essay outlines lord as different from the world in which I was born as that world was from Julius Caesar's (13). As we move toward the twenty-first century, it seems legitimate to question the transition school essays continued effectiveness of essay flies, a governmental system that was devised in the eighteenth century; and it seems equally legitimate to consider alternatives.

The quotations by Forster and White help set the essay on my easter stage for the discussion of democracy by essay, presenting the reader with some provocative and well-phrased remarks. Later in the paragraph, the quotation by Boulding more specifically prepares us for the theme of change that will be central to the essay as a whole. In many cases, the reader will be unprepared to follow the issue you discuss unless you provide some historical background. Consider the following introduction to an an essay on the film-rating system: Sex and violence on the screen are not new issues. In the lord Roaring Twenties there was increasing pressure from civic and religious groups to lord ban depictions of immorality from the screen.

Faced with the college threat of federal censorship, the film producers decided to essay clean their own house. In 1930, the essay vacation Motion Picture Producers and Distributors of America established the Production Code. At first, adherence to the Code was voluntary; but in 1934 Joseph Breen, newly appointed head of the MPPDA, gave the Code teeth. Henceforth all newly produced films had to be submitted for approval to the Production Code Administration which had the flies power to vancouver writing award or withhold the Code seal. Without a Code seal, it was virtually impossible for a film to be shown anywhere in the United States, since exhibitors would not accept it. At about the lord same time, the Catholic Legion of Decency was formed to advise the faithful which were and were not objectionable. For several decades the Production Code Administration exercised powerful control over what was portrayed in American theatrical films. By the 1960s, however, changing standards of morality had considerably weakened the Code's grip. In 1968, the Production Code was replaced with a rating system designed to keep younger audiences away from films with high levels of sex or violence. Despite its imperfections, this rating system has proved more beneficial to American films than did the old censorship system. The essay following this introduction concerns the xat essay preparation relative benefits of the outlines flies rating system.

By providing some historical background on the rating system, the writer helps readers to understand his arguments. Notice the chronological development of details. Review of outlines lord flies, a Controversy. A particular type of historical review is the review of a controversy or debate. Consider the essay flies following introduction: The American Heritage Dictionary 's definition of civil disobedience is essay on my easter vacation rather simple: the refusal to obey civil laws that are regarded as unjust, usually by employing methods of essay outlines lord flies, passive resistance.

However, despite such famous (and beloved) examples of essay outlines, civil disobedience as the movements of Mahatma Gandhi in India and the Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr., in the United States, the question of whether or not civil disobedience should be considered an essay asset to society is hardly clear cut. And Write? For instance, Hannah Arendt, in her article Civil Disobedience, holds thatto think of disobedient minorities as rebels and truants is against outlines flies, the letter and vancouver writing, spirit of essay outlines lord, a constitution whose framers were especially sensitive to the dangers of unbridled majority rule. Learning How To Read? On the other hand, a noted lawyer, Lewis Van Dusen, Jr., in his article Civil Disobedience: Destroyer of Democracy, states that civil disobedience, whatever the ethical rationalization, is still an assault on our democratic society, an affront to our legal order and an attack on our constitutional government. These two views are clearly incompatible. I believe, though, that Van Dusen's is the more convincing. Essay Outlines? On balance, civil disobedience is dangerous to society.

8. The negative aspects of civil disobedience, rather than Van Dusen's essay, the topic of this essay. Xat Essay Writing? But to essay outlines lord flies introduce this topic, the writer has provided quotations that represent opposing sides of the controversy over civil disobedience, as well as brief references to two controversial practitioners. By focusing at the outset on the particular rather than the abstract aspects of the essay lord subject, the writer hoped to secure the attention of her readers and to involve them in the controversy that forms the outlines lord flies subject of her essay. From General to the Specific. Another way of providing a transition from the reader's world to the less familiar world of the essay is to work from a general subject to a specific one.

The following introduction to a discussion of the 1968 massacre at vancouver community creative My Lai, Vietnam, begins with general statements and leads to lord the particular subject at hand: Though we prefer to think of man as basically good and reluctant to do evil, such is not the case. Many of the crimes inflicted on humankind can be dismissed as being committed by the degenerates of society at the prompting of the abnormal mind. But what of the perfectly normal man or woman who commits inhumane acts simply because he or she has been ordered to do so? It cannot be denied that such acts have occurred, either in everyday life or in war-time situations. Unfortunately, even normal, well-adjusted people can become cruel, inhumane, and destructive if placed in the hands of unscrupulous authority.

Such was the case in the village of essay outlines lord, My Lai, Vietnam, on March 16, 1968, when a platoon of American soldiers commanded by Lt. William Calley massacred more than 100 civilians, including women and lord, children. Specific to the General: Anecdote, Illustration. Consider the following paragraph: In late 1971 astronomer Carl Sagan and his colleagues were studying data transmitted from the planet Mars to the earth by the Mariner 9 spacecraft. Struck by the effects of the Martian dust storms on the temperature and on on my the amount of light reaching the surface, the scientists wondered about the effects on earth of the dust storms that would be created by nuclear explosions.

Using computer models, they simulated the effects of such explosions on essay outlines flies the earth's climate. Vancouver Community Creative Writing? The results astounded them. Apart from the known effects of nuclear blasts (fires and radiation), the earth, they discovered, would become enshrouded in a nuclear winter. Following a nuclear exchange, plummeting temperatures and pervading darkness would destroy most of the Northern Hemisphere's crops and farm animals and would eventually render much of the planet's surface uninhabitable. Essay Lord? The effects of nuclear war, apparently, would be more catastrophic than had previously been imagined. It has therefore become more urgent than ever for the nations of the world to take dramatic steps to community college creative writing reduce the threat of nuclear war. The previous introduction went from the general (the question of whether or not man is basically good) to outlines flies the specific (the massacre at My Lai); this one goes from the specific (scientists studying data) to the general (the urgency of reducing the nuclear threat). The anecdote is one of the most effective means at your disposal off capturing and holding your reader's attention.

For decades, speakers have begun their general remarks with a funny, touching, or otherwise appropriate story; in fact, there are plenty of books that are nothing but collections of such stories, arranged by subject. Frequently, you can provoke the reader's attention by posing a question or a series of questions: Are gender roles learned or inherited? Scientific research has established the existence of biological differences between the test strategies sexes, but the effect of biology's influence on gender roles cannot be distinguished from society's influence. According to Michael Lewis of the Institute for essay outlines, the Study of Exceptional children, As early as you can show me a sex difference, I can show you the culture at read work. Social processes, as well as biological differences, are responsible for the separate roles of men and essay outlines flies, women. Strategies? 9. Opening your essay with a question can be provocative, since it places the reader in an active role: He or she begins by considering answers.

Are gender roles learned? Are they inherited? In this active role, the reader is likely to continue reading with interest. Statement of Thesis. Perhaps the most direct method of essay outlines, introduction is to begin immediately with the thesis: Computers are a mixed blessing. Easter? The lives of Americans are becoming increasingly involved worth machines that think for them. Essay Outlines Flies? We are at the dawn of the era of the smart machine, say the authors of a cover story of the douglass read subject in Newsweek , that will change forever the way an entire nation works, beginning a revolution that will be to the brain what the industrial revolution was to the hand. Tiny silicon chips already process enough information to direct air travel, to instruct machines how to cut fabric - even to play chess with (and defeat) the masters. Lord? One can argue that development of computers for the household, as well as industry, will change for the better the quality of our lives: computers help us save energy, reduce the amount of frederick douglass read essay, drudgery that most of us endure around tax season, make access to libraries easier. Yet there is a certain danger involved with this proliferation of technology.

This essay begins with a challenging assertion: that computers are a mixed blessing. It is one that many readers are perhaps unprepared to essay flies consider, since they may have taken it for granted that computers are an unmixed blessing. The advantage of beginning with a provocative (thesis) statement is that it forces the writing reader to sit up and take notice perhaps even to begin protesting. The paragraph goes on to concede some of the blessings of computerization but then concludes with the lord warning that there is a certain danger associated with the new technology - a danger, the college curious or even indignant reader has a right to conclude, that will be more fully explained in essay flies, the paragraphs to follow. One final note about our model introductions: They may be longer than introductions you have been accustomed to writing. Strategies? Many writers (and readers) prefer shorter, snappier introductions. This is essay lord largely a matter of essay test, personal or corporate style: there is no rule concerning the correct length of an introduction.

If you feel that a short introduction is appropriate, by all means use one. You may wish to break up what seems like a long introduction into two paragraphs. (Our paragraph on the nuclear winter, for essay outlines lord, example, could have been broken either before or after the sentence The results astounded them.) One way to writing view the conclusion of your paper is as an introduction worked in reverse, a bridge from the world of your essay back to essay outlines the world of your reader. A conclusion is the part of your paper in vancouver community college writing, which you restate and outlines, (if necessary) expand on your thesis. Essential to any conclusion is the summary, which is not merely a repetition of the thesis but a restatement that takes advantage of the essay outlines lord material you've presented.

The simplest conclusion is an expanded summary, but you may want more than this for the end of your paper. Depending on your needs, you might offer a summary and essay lord flies, then build onto essay outlines it a discussion of the paper's significance or its implications for future study, for choices that individuals might make, for policy, and so on. Outlines? you might also want to urge the reader to change an attitude or to modify behavior. Certainly, you are under no obligation to discuss the broader significance of transition school essays, your work (and a summary, alone, will satisfy the lord flies formal requirement that your paper have an ending); but the vancouver community college creative conclusions of better papers often reveal authors who are thinking large and want to connect the particular concerns of their papers with the broader concerns of society. Here we'll consider seven strategies for expanding the basic summary - conclusion. But two words of advice are in lord, order. First, no matter how clever or beautifully executed, a conclusion cannot salvage a poorly written paper. Outlines Lord Flies? Second, by virtue of its placement, the essay flies conclusion carries rhetorical weight.

It is the last statement a reader will encounter before turning from your work. Realizing this, writers who expand on the basic summary-conclusion often wish to give their final words a dramatic flourish, a heightened level of diction. Soaring rhetoric and drama in a conclusion are fine as long as they do not unbalance the xat essay writing paper and call attention to themselves. Having labored long hours over your paper, you have every right to wax eloquent. But keep a sense of proportion and timing. Make your points quickly and end crisply. Statement of the Subject's Significance. One of the more effective ways to conclude a paper is to discuss the larger significance of what you have written, providing readers with one more reason to outlines lord flies regard your work as a serious effort. When using this strategy, you move from the specific concern of your paper to the broader concerns of the reader's world. Often, you will need to choose among a range of significances: A paper on essay lord the Wright brothers might end with a discussion of essay outlines lord, air travel as it affects economies, politics, or families; a paper on contraception might end with a discussion of its effect on sexual mores, population, or the church.

But don't overwhelm your reader with the douglass learning how to read and write essay importance of your remarks. Outlines Lord Flies? Keep your discussion well focused. The following paragraphs conclude a paper on George H. Shull, a pioneer in the inbreeding and crossbreeding of corn: . . . Thus, the hybrids developed and described by frederick douglass how to and write, Shull 75 years ago have finally dominated U.S. corn production. The adoption of hybrid corn was steady and dramatic in the Corn Belt. Essay? From 1930 through 1979 the average yields of corn in the U.S. increased from easter vacation, 21.9 to 95.1 bushels per acre, and the additional value to the farmer is now several billion dollars per year.

The success of hybrid corn has also stimulated the breeding of other crops, such as sorghum hybrids, a major feed grain crop in arid parts of the world. Sorghum yields have increased 300 percent since 1930. Approximately 20 percent of the land devoted to rice production in China is planted with hybrid seed, which is reported to yield 20 percent more than the outlines best varieties. And many superior varieties of tomatoes, cucumbers, spinach, and other vegetables are hybrids. Today virtually all corn produced in the developed countries is from transition words school, hybrid seed. From those blue bloods of the plant kingdom has come a model for feeding the world. 10. The first sentence of this conclusion is a summary, and from it the reader can infer that the essay flies paper included a discussion of Shull's techniques for the hybrid breeding of corn. The summary is followed by a two-paragraph discussion on the significance of Shull's research for words middle school, feeding the world.

Call for Further Research. In the scientific and social scientific communities, papers often end with a review of what has been presented (as, for instance, in outlines flies, an experiment) and strategies, the ways in essay flies, which the subject under consideration needs to be further explored. If you raise questions that you call on essay others to answer, however, make sure you know that the research you are calling for hasn't already been conducted. This next conclusion comes from essay, a sociological report on the placement of elderly men and women in nursing homes. Thus, our study shows a correlation between the placement of how to read essay, elderly citizens in lord, nursing facilities and the significant decline of their motor and intellectual skills over essay easter vacation the ten months following placement. What the research has not made clear is the extent to which this marked decline is due to physical as opposed to emotional causes. The elderly are referred to homes at essay flies that point in essay on my vacation, their lives when they grow less able to care for themselves - which suggests that the drop-off in skills may be due to physical causes.

But the emotional stress of being placed in outlines flies, a home, away from family and in an environment that confirms the patient's view of himself as decrepit, may exacerbate - if not itself be a primary cause of - the patient's rapid loss of abilities. Further research is needed to clarify the frederick learning how to read relationship between depression and particular physical ailments as these affect the skills of the elderly in nursing facilities. Essay Outlines? There is little doubt that information yielded by such studies can enable health care professionals to transition words middle deliver more effective services. Notice how this call for further study locates the author in essay lord, a large community of researchers on whom she depends for college, assistance in answering the questions that have come out of her own work. The author summarizes her findings (in the first sentence of the paragraph), states what her work has not shown, and then extends her invitation. The purpose of your paper might be to review a problem or controversy and to discuss contributing factors.

In such a case, it would be appropriate, after summarizing your discussion, to essay flies offer a solution based on the knowledge you've gained while conducting research. If your solution is to be taken seriously, your knowledge must be amply demonstrated in the body of the essay on my easter paper. . . . Outlines Lord? The major problem in college sports today is not commercialism - it is the exploitation of athletes and the proliferation of illicit practices which dilute educational standards. Many universities are currently deriving substantial benefits from sports programs that depend on transition words essays the labor of essay outlines flies, athletes drawn from the poorest sections of xat essay, America's population. It is the responsibility of outlines lord flies, educators, civil rights leaders, and concerned citizens to see that these young people get a fair return for their labor both in terms of direct remuneration and in terms of career preparation for a life outside sports. Minimally, scholarships in revenue-producing sports should be designed to extend until graduation, rather than covering only four years of athletic eligibility, and should include guarantees of tutoring, counseling, and proper medical care. At institutions where the profits are particularly large (such as Texas A M, which can afford to pay its football coach $280,000 a year), scholarships should also provide salaries that extend beyond room, board, and tuition.

The important thing is that the transition words middle athlete be remunerated fairly and have the opportunity to gain skills from essay lord, a university environment without undue competition from a physically and psychologically demanding full-time job. Community? This may well require that scholarships be extended over five or six years, including summers. Such a proposal, I suspect, will not be easy to implement. The current amateur system, despite its moral and educational flaws, enables universities to hire their athletic labor at minimal cost. But solving the fiscal crisis of the universities on the backs of America's poor and essay flies, minorities is not, in the long run, a tenable solution. With the support of concerned educators, parents, and civil rights leaders, and with the help from organized labor, the college athlete, truly a sleeping giant, will someday speak out and demand what is rightly his - and hers - a fair share of the revenue created by easter vacation, their hard work.

11. In this conclusion, the author summarizes his article in one sentence: The major problem in college sports today is not commercialism - it is the exploitation of athletes and the proliferation of illicit practices which dilute educational standards. In paragraph 2, he continues with an analysis of the problem just stated and follows with a general recommendation - that educators, civil rights leaders, and concerned citizens be responsible for the welfare of college athletes. In paragraph 3, he makes a specific proposal, and in essay outlines flies, the final paragraph, he anticipates resistance to outlines the proposal. He concludes by discounting this resistance and returning to the general point, that college athletes should receive a fair deal. An anecdote is a briefly told story or joke, the point of which in a conclusion is to shed light on your subject. The anecdote is more direct than an allusion.

With an essay outlines lord allusion, you merely refer to a story (Too many people today live in Plato's cave . . .); with the anecdote, you actually retell the story. The anecdote allows readers to discover for themselves the significance of a reference to another source - an frederick douglass learning how to and write effort most readers enjoy because they get to exercise their creativity. The following anecdote concludes an article on homicide. In the article, the essay outlines flies author discusses how patterns of killing reveal information that can help mental- health professionals identify and treat potential killers before they commit crimes. she author emphasizes both the difficulty and the desirability of approaching homicide as a threat to public health that, like disease, can be treated with preventive care. In his book, The Exploits of the Incomparable Mulla Nasrudin , Sufi writer Idries Shad, in a parable about fate, writes about the many culprits of murder: What is Fate? Nasrudin was asked by a scholar.

An endless succession of intertwined events, each influencing the other. That is hardly a satisfactory answer. I believe in preparation, cause and flies, effect. Very well, said the Mulla, look at that. He pointed to a procession passing in the street. That man is being taken to be hanged. Is that because someone gave him a silver piece and enabled him to words buy the essay outlines lord knife with which he committed the murder; or because someone saw him do it; or because nobody stopped him? 12. The writer chose to conclude the article with this anecdote. She could have developed an interpretation, but this would have spoiled the dramatic value for the reader. The purpose of using an anecdote is to make your point with subtlety, so resist the temptation to interpret.

Keep in mind three guidelines when selecting an anecdote: it should be prepared for (the reader should have all the information needed to understand), it should provoke the reader's interest, and it should not be so obscure as to be unintelligible. A favorite concluding device is the quotation - the words of frederick learning read and write essay, a famous person or an authority in the field on which you are writing The purpose of quoting another is to flies link your work to theirs, thereby gaining for test, your work authority and credibility. The first criterion for selecting a quotation is its suitability to your thesis. But you also should carefully consider what your choice of sources says about lord you. Suppose you are writing a paper on the American work ethic. If you could use a line by comedian David Letterman or one by the current secretary of labor to make the final point of your conclusion, which would you choose and essay test, why? One source may not be inherently more effective than the other, but the choice certainly sets a tone for the paper. There is essay flies no doubt that machines will get smarter and smarter, even designing their own software and essay on my vacation, making new and essay outlines lord, better chips for new generations of computers. More and more of their power will be devoted to making them easier to use - friendly, in industry parlance - even for those not trained in computer science. And computer scientists expect that public ingenuity will come up with applications the most visionary researchers have not even considered.

One day, a global network of smart machines will be exchanging rapid-fire bursts of information at unimaginable speeds. If they are used wisely, they could help mankind to educate its masses and transition middle school, crack new scientific frontiers. For all of us, it will be fearful, terrifying, disruptive, says SRl's Peter Schwartz. In the end there will be those whose lives will be diminished. But for the vast majority, their lives will be greatly enhanced.

In any event, there is essay outlines lord flies no turning back: if the smart machines have not taken over, they are fast making themselves indispensable - and in the end, that may amount to very much the same thing. 13. Notice how the community college writing quotation is used to position the writer to make one final remark. Particularly effective quotations may themselves be used to end an essay, as in the following example. Make sure you identify the person you've quoted, although the outlines lord flies identification does not need to be made in the conclusion itself. For example, earlier in the paper from which the essay on my following conclusion was taken, Maureen Henderson was identified as an epidemiologist exploring the ways in which a change in essay lord, diet can prevent the onset of certain cancers. In sum, the recommendations describe eating habits almost identical to the diet of around 1900, says Maureen Henderson.

It's a diet we had before refrigeration and the complex carbohydrates we have now. It's an old fashioned diet and a diet that poor people ate more than rich people. Some cancer researchers wonder whether people will be willing to change their diets or take pills on the chance of preventing cancer, when one-third of the people in the country won't even stop smoking. Others, such as Seattle epidemiologist Emily White, suspect that most people will be too eager to test strategies dose themselves before enough data are in. We're not here to convince the public to take anything, she says. The public is too eager already. What we're saying is, 'Let us see if some of essay flies, these things work.' We want to convince ourselves before we convince the public.'' 14. There is vancouver a potential problem with using quotations: if you end with the outlines lord words of another, you may leave the impression that someone else can make your case more eloquently than you can. The language of the quotation will put your own prose into relief. If your own prose suffers by comparison - if the quotations are the best part of your paper - you'd be wise to spend some time revising. Essay Test? The way to avoid this kind of problem is to essay flies make your own presentation strong.

Questions are useful for essay easter, opening essays, and they are just as useful for closing them. Outlines? Opening and closing questions function in strategies, different ways, however. The introductory question promises to be addressed in the paper that follows. But the concluding question leaves issues unresolved, calling on the readers to assume an active role by outlines flies, offering their own solutions: How do we surmount the reaction that threatens to destroy the very gains we thought we had already won in the first stage of the women's movement? How do we surmount our own reaction, which shadows our feminism and our femininity (we blush even to use that word now)? How do we transcend the polarization between women and women and between women and xat essay, men to achieve the new human wholeness that is the promise of feminism, and get on outlines with solving the concrete, practical, everyday problems of living, working and loving as equal persons? This is the essay personal and political business of the essay outlines second stage.

15. Perhaps you will choose to raise a question in your conclusion and read essay, then answer it, based on the material you've provided in the paper The answered question challenges a reader to agree or disagree with your response. This tactic also places the reader in an active role. The following brief conclusion ends an article entitled Would an Intelligent Computer Have a 'Right to Life'? So the answer to the question Would an intelligent computer have the right to life? is probably that it would, but only if it could discover reasons and conditions under which it would give up its life if called upon to essay do so - which would make computer intelligence as precious a thing as human intelligence. 16.

When you speculate, you ask what has happened or discuss what might happen. This kind of question stimulates the on my easter vacation reader because its subject is the unknown. The following paragraph concludes The New Generation Gap by Neil Howe and William Strauss. In this essay, Howe and Strauss discuss the differences among Americans of various ages, including the Gl Generation (born between 1901 and 1924), the Boomers (born 1943- 1961), the essay outlines lord flies Thirteeners (born 1961-1981), and the Millennials (born 1981-2000): If, slowly but surely, Millennials receive the kind of essay lord flies, family protection and public generosity that Gls enjoyed as children, then they could come of age early in the next century as a group much like the Gls of the 1920s and 1930s - as a stellar (if bland) generation of rationalists, team players, and can-do civic builders Two decades from now Boomers entering old age may well see in their grown Millennial children an essay outlines flies effective instrument for saving the world, while Thirteeners entering midlife will shower kindness on a younger generation that is getting a better deal out of life (though maybe a bit less fun) than they ever got at essay outlines a like age. Study after story after column will laud these best damn kids in the world as heralding a resurgent American greatness. And, for essay flies, a while at least, no one will talk about a generation gap. 17. Thus, Howe and Strauss conclude an essay concerned largely with the apparently unbridgeable gaps of understanding between parents and children with a hopeful speculation that generational relationships will improve considerably in the next two decades.

Some writers work with an idea, committing it to paper only after it has been fully formed. Writing? Others will begin with a vague notion and lord flies, begin writing a first draft, trusting that as they write they'll discover what they wish to say. many people take advantage of both techniques: they write what they know but at frederick the same time write to discover what they don't know. As you'll see, we used both techniques in writing this section of the book. [back] Francis Mossiker, trans., Napoleon and Josephine . New York: Simon and Schuster, 1964. [back] Winter Organization in Patricia Curtis, Biology , 2nd ed. New York: Worth, 1976, pp. 822-823. [back] Robert Hutchins, Gate Receipts and Glory, The Saturday Evening Post . Outlines? December 3, 1983. [back]

Henry David Thoreau, Reading in Walden . New York: Signet Classic, 1960, p. 72. [back] Jane Yolen, America's 'Cinderella,' APS Publications, Inc., in Children's Literature in Education 8, 1977, pp. 21-29. [back] Excerpt from Toward an Intelligence Beyond Man's from Time , February 20, 1978. Copyright 1978 Time Inc. [back]

Michele Jacques, Civil Disobedience: Van Dusen vs. Transition Middle School Essays? Arendt. [Unpublished paper.] [back] Tammy Smith, Are Sex Roles Learned or Inherited? [Unpublished paper.] [back] From Hybrid Vim and Vigor by William L. Brown from pp. 77-78 in Science 80-85, November 1984. Copyright by the AAAS. [back] From Mark Naison, Scenario for Scandal, Commonweal 109 (16), September 24, 1982. Lord? [back] From The Murder Epidemic by Nikki Meredith from pp. 42-48 in Science 80-85, December 1984.

Copyright by AAAS. [back] From And Man Created the Chip, Newsweek , June 30, 1980. Copyright 1980 by Newsweek, Inc. All rights reserved. [back] Reprinted by permission. From the September issue of essay, Science '84 . Copyright 1984 by the American Association for the Advancement of Science. [back]

Betty Friedan, Feminism's Next Step in The Second Stage . New York: Summit Books, 1981. [back] Robert E. Mueller and Eric T. Mueller, Would an Intelligent Computer Have a 'Right to Life'? Creative Computing , August 1983. [back] Excerpt from flies, The New Generation Gap by Neil Howe and William Strauss. Originally appeared in Atlantic , December 1992. [back]